rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cam cover front bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam cover front bolt
    Posted: 06 May 2009 at 23:01

Has anyone had problems gettin' front cam cover bolt undone, and any solutions. Tried to do valve clearance check was 2 hrs trying to get that one horrid bugger undone. give up in end as was about to drop engine out as this was the only solution that seemed feasable. followed instructions for disassembly via manual etc.  me thinks the hex is a tad rounded .

mille  2000 (W)

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 00:01
If it's rounded off then unless you can get something to bite on the bolt head and tap it round then your choices are limited.
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 08:39
I had a similar problem with my cover bolts recently. There where 2 which needed a bit of coaxing with a birmingham screwdriver. I found that freeze spray worked very well. The front one is a bugger to get at at the best of times and you need a really good hex key to make sure you dont round the mating edges off.

As I was doing my forks at the same time I had the forks out which gave me a clear (er) view of the front bolt and was praying it would come out -which it did.

I then replaced the bolts with stainless and plenty of coppaslip.

In your case I would first try the freeze spray and then a new hex key and be gentle, If this dont work you could try tapping it around with a flat blade screwdriver - but you will need to gain as much access as possible by removing the exhaust shield etc etc. Oh and take a bucket of patience with you.LOL

Best of luck.

Edited by Sabre - 07 May 2009 at 08:40

maz View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 00:14
Thanks for the replies Gents.  Hex has still got some bite left just cant get decent  force on it .
will try your advice and give it another go.  If it all goes awry might/will/only choice/ drop engine out. Ouch 
Cheers.. fellas

Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 09:00
Originally posted by maz maz wrote:

Hex has still got some bite left just cant get decent  force on it .

In that case I would try to access it from the front, use freeze spray and use a new hex key.

tapmyhed View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapmyhed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 21:32
Have you tried a universal joint?  I had similar problems, but with much fingertip feeling a good hex bit, on a 1/4inch extender with the universal joint bang above the cover I got the bugger out.  Its fiddly making sure the bit is in square as you have to feel for this, but it is achievable.

Patience is the key young grasshopper!
Factory 04
Big Bore Whore
maz View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 22:32

Hi Sabre,  got freeze spray today and a new hex with a 3/8 drive and ordinary allen key, bit better quality than my previous one. 

Will try U/J aswell and I will creep up on the bugger whilst it least expects it and take it by suprise !!!!!!!

Thanks all for your input. 

Smile

Vinnie View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

MTB Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2009 at 18:15
Griff uses's a 3/8 drive socket allen key with the ball type end,got to be good quility or would snap of
v60rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v60rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2009 at 19:49
careful of using ball type allen keys on tight bolts as not as much surface area as normall type allen keys.Wink
fusebox View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
Aprilia performance boss bloke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fusebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 07:41
before you go any further guys, remove the rads if theres a problem !
access is easier then !

may well help!

Cheers
Griff

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
www.apriliaspareparts.co.uk
maz View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 21:50
Bolt stripped in end.
 Took rads off (would do this first in future!)
chisel and light tapping with hammer got it off .  Then valve clearence all within tollerance. Aargh, dammit. bugger !
Remeasured 4 times... still within tolerance... After all that arsing about I wanted there to be at least one valve that needed shimming Ha Bloody Ha... ah well saved me decorating the kitchen. Wifey not spoke to me for 2 days (sheer pleasure)

Thanks Guys for advise..
 Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic