rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Technical info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

slow cranking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: slow cranking
    Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 08:36
after a bit of help my gen 2 tuono won't start it cranks over very slow it had a new battery last year getting a reading of 12.4 on the bike and 12.8 with a multimeter. so just to be sure I changed the battery getting a reading of 13.0 with a multimeter so I know the battery is ok I don't want to keep cranking it incase I knacker the sprag all the leads I can get to seem tight any pointers were to start
stitchmilie View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stitchmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 09:09
I had that problem a couple of years ago, the battery was reading good voltage but wouldn’t start. I changed the battery from a yuasa ytx12 to a ytx14, better start up cranking power and it’s started great ever since. I also updated the battery cables from Griff.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 09:37
Is this something that has just appeared or has it been like that for a while?

You say you have done leads you can get to, which ones can't you get to as sods law says that will be it! The starter motor earths through it's mounting so worth checking that.

Check the battery reading on the multimeter during cranking as a battery can show healthy at rest but under load a single duff cell will cause the voltage to collapse.

Try jumping it from a car as that will definitely rule out a low par battery.

Bob1 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 16:00
only been happening past week just put a jump pack on it fired straight up so I got two knackered batteries then one of them is a lithium only 6 months old
Bladerunner919 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bladerunner919 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 17:27
I wouldn't jump a Lithium battery if I were you. They can explode and release noxious fumes!
Bob1 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 18:01
didn't know thanks 
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 18:16
Originally posted by Bladerunner919 Bladerunner919 wrote:

I wouldn't jump a Lithium battery if I were you. They can explode and release noxious fumes!

My bad, I should have thought of that. Apparently the way to do it when jump starting a lithium equipped vehicle is to make sure the negative lead of the donor vehicle (Or jump pack) is connected to a good chassis ground on the dead vehicle but NOT the negative battery terminal.

snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 19:52
Even in the 1970s when I was apprentice I was told when jump starting always use a chassis Earth on the non starting vehicle .
Bob1 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 19:11
finally sorted nothing wrong with the bike two knackered batteries both under a year old amazing amitidly the first one was non branded one. won't make that mistake again the second one a shido lithium six months old won't start the tuono. just bought a yuasa uprated battery from ap fire's up sweet as a nut. as for lithium batteries I wouldn't give you the time of day for them that's two I have had now had one on a R1. a couple of years ago soon as the temperature dropped wouldn't start I know everyone bangs on about them. but I'll stick with the lead acid ones.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 14:49
Should have just left the lights on for about 30 secs before trying to start in cold weather, Lithiums need waking up in those conditions. Wink

Having said that if you leave your bike out in cold weather they probably aren't ideal.

My 14 rated Lithium has been superb in both my bikes,so much so that the pair of 20 rated units I got haven't been needed.

I'd never go back to heavy lead acid for a bike.  Also any battery can fail prematurely,are yours not under warranty?

I think all my JMT's are 3 years covered but I could be miss remembering and confusing that with charged shelf life.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic