rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hello everyone, just picked up a gen 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello everyone, just picked up a gen 2
    Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 11:27

Hello everyone! I've just picked this up last Saturday and what can I say, it rides really well! It even has this forum's stickers on, so I had to register. I've missed my RS125 that was stolen in the past, and I also missed the Vtwin in the SV650S I had years ago. This bike takes care of those itches.

From what I've read around here, I need to check if the stand has been upgraded.

From riding around last weekend, I've noticed that the bike gets quite hot after a couple hours of riding. Is that normal or do I need to change coolant?

Another thing was, I left it overnight and it had trouble turning over in the morning, so that makes me think the battery needs to be upgraded. What's the best battery to get for these?
Thanks,
Dan
dan42 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 11:34
The image failed to show up so posting a link here:

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 13:52
Welcome and nice bike Handshake

Regarding batteries it's a bit like tyres and oils in that everyone has their favourite, for what it's worth my take on it after having both is.............go for Lithium -Ion everytime and in the biggest capacity you can afford that will fit.

Should you decide to stay with the archaic lead acid format you still need the biggest capacity that'll fit with the highest CCa rating.

Personally I'm using a JMT  HJTX14H -FP  in my Mille that did sterling service for a few years in my Gen2 Tuono

I also bought a new  HJTX20CH=FP  360 CCa unit to replace it in the T,not the cheapest option available but it was on a promotional price at that time and as I got  doubly lucky and they sent a duplicate order on the same invoice and didn't seem interested in admitting their mistake I was delighted to have a new spare on the shelf for free

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
stitchmilie View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stitchmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 15:08
Hello and welcome, lovely machine.
You picked the right forum for any and all information you will need, very knowledgeable fellows on here and will help with any problem.
You’ll be needing a fireblade sidestand, it slightly kicks outward and holds the bike better as opposed to the straight Aprilia item.
I use a ytx14 battery with the upgraded battery leads and never had a problem starting since fitting them. The leads and anything else are available from AP’s site, just click at the top of the page. Check out their YouTube channel too, loads of stuff on there to help you out.
They do run on the hot side, mines around 87 normally with the fan kicking in at 94.
Enjoy yours mate.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 17:27
As Ian says, lot's of debate about batteries and I'm in the opposite camp (Although I'm not slinging arrows at him!). However he's completely correct in trying to find the highest CCA battery that you can fit in the bike. My AGM 230CCA item has lasted eight years now and still starts the engine at first turn of the crank. I keep it on an Optimate during the winter but rarely through the riding season.

On sidestands, definitely change it if your's is still on the original. And whilst the Fireblade item is better, I would go for the US spec OE item if you can find one.

wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 19:10
In addition to the lads great advice, check what solenoid is fitted. You need a genuine 150amp one. 
As that’s an early Gen2 it could have the lower amperage one still  fitted. 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
chemomche View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemomche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 09:15
Nice bike!
I got Gen 1, but i guess the battery issues are the same as gen2.
I fitted upgraded cables and the cheapest lithium battery and had no issues since( a couple of years owning the bike). I ride 5-6 times an year, but the lithium battery never missed a start.
They are little weird when cold - opposite to the normal ones, you need to leave the lights on for a couple of minutes to rise the voltage, but other then that they are best for the bucks - plus you save 3-4kg weight.

ajaycad View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajaycad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 09:27
Welcome to the clan......
Same colour as mine Smile

I bought mine 2 years ago from James (wigginsjp - morning James) and its mint. It has the following upgrades.....
Upgraded solenoid and starter cables
Upgraded battery
Oberon Clutch Slave cylinder
Revised clutch jet
Braided brake lines
SH847 upgraded regulator/rectifier mounted in the tail unit
Secondhand stator
T12 oil cooling MOD for the stator
Evotech brake and clutch levers - very nice
MRA tinted screen
Akrapovic cans
AP Rearsets
Later model intake moulding
Probably a few more I have forgotten to mention.

I love this bike.......just wish I had longer legs as its quite tall !

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 11:20
Lovely early gen2 looks stunning. As said above this is the best place for all things aprilia. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 11:21
Already got your sticker I seeBig smile
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 14:56
welcome to the club, nice bike.

one of the best looking bikes.

dan42 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 20:47
Thank you for the warm welcome!

So I've taken some pics of my battery and the stand:
https://imgur.com/a/P4kGKb7

What stand do I have?

As for the battery, I measured the voltage to be 12.58V, which actually isn't too bad and it failed to turn over. I think I need to upgrade it. This battery can only start the bike when it's fully charged.

I'm thinking of buying this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-HJTX20CH-Skyrich-Lithium-Ion-Indicator/dp/B07CH1313W

Will it fit? And will the trip sensor fit on top?

Thanks all
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 21:10
Thats just the standard aprilia european side stand 

I can’t see the battery in question but I’d look at the one Oan suggested 

The battery needs to be measured when cranked as it can hold a charge but then drop when under load significantly 
Have you checked your solenoid yet? 

Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apworkshops.co.uk
dan42 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 21:23
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

Thats just the standard aprilia european side stand 

I can’t see the battery in question but I’d look at the one Oan suggested 

The battery needs to be measured when cranked as it can hold a charge but then drop when under load significantly 
Have you checked your solenoid yet? 

What is the problem with the european side stand? I'm asking because mine seems quite solid.

Yeah, it's probably the case that the voltage drops under load. I've put the battery on charge so I can ride, but would be nice to be able to leave the bike not charging for a week or so LOL. It also has a DATATOOL alarm which might be draining the battery a bit.

The battery I linked to is:
SKYRICH HJTX20CH-FP and it costs £155 on Amazon.

I don't know how to check the solenoid.

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 21:24
Firstly side stand ..I'd say that looks like a standard Aprilia unit

Battery wise those dimn's given on Amazon look oddly way out to me as my JMT units with exactly the same coding designation are 150 x 87 x 105 high  which are the same as the std fit low amp unit.

Who makes Skyrich I don't know but it seems odd they claim 159 x 93 x 133 unless some eejit measured the box they come in instead.

Incidentally they are an absolute clone of the JMT down to the smallest detail,only difference being coloured green instead of red

Now JMT are made in Germany but one can guess the components are probably made by the biggest lithium producing country in the world so I could imagine they may be a cloned kit of parts for final assembly wherever

EDIT:    I measured the JMT packaging box and sure enough it comes out as what Amazon are claiming for the battery dimns so I'd say you should be fine to order Thumbs Up
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 21:33
The standard euro spec stand is a disaster waiting to happen especially if you change your rear tyre profile.

It's possibly not QUITE as bad as the Gen 1 version but it's still too short and too close to the bikes centre line and the heavy bike is likely to tip over. 

It's also soft,crap and liable to bend if people sit on the bike with the stand down.

Far and away the best stand is the US spec unit,followed by the early 'blade,Gixxer,Blackbird etc etc all of which can be used with varying mods.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 00:22
for a litho bat i have had a JMT on all of my liter aprilias. so i can only say to the quality of JMT
chemomche View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemomche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 12:13
Originally posted by dan42 dan42 wrote:

[QUOTE=wigginsjp]

Isn't the 20 too big?

I use 14ah Lithium equivalent and the price is almost half of the one you linked.
I used JMT HJTX14H-FP on my other bike(GPZ900R), i bought 4-5 years ago for 80 pounds.(i see they are now 90-100 pounds)
Now i  use BCTX14H-FP on my Gen 1, just because i got it cheap on ebay action, but the 14 is enough for the Mille.

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 13:36
Originally posted by chemomche chemomche wrote:

Originally posted by dan42 dan42 wrote:

[QUOTE=wigginsjp]

Isn't the 20 too big?

I use 14ah Lithium equivalent and the price is almost half of the one you linked.
I used JMT HJTX14H-FP on my other bike(GPZ900R), i bought 4-5 years ago for 80 pounds.(i see they are now 90-100 pounds)
Now i  use BCTX14H-FP on my Gen 1, just because i got it cheap on ebay action, but the 14 is enough for the Mille.

As far as CCa is concerned I don't think you can go too big. Well you probably could in theory regarding the charging capacity of the stator,but not in practice atm.

You're quite correct in the 14 is probably enough for the big twin,indeed that's what I've been using for the past handful of years firstly in my Tuono then it got relegated to the Mille when it's lead acid died.

This led to me needing a new Tuono battery and I just thought why not go bigger for a relatively minor increase in cost?  I think I paid around £135 at the time for the biggie but as the incompetents actually duplicated the order they only cost me around £70 a unit and I have one on the shelf if I ever need it.

Regarding physical size,firstly pay no attention to Amazon as they appear to have measured the cardboard box the battery is posted in LOL

The dimns I quoted fit perfectly in a 2008 model Tuono and I believe would fit any other Gen1 or 2 as well.  The tip over switch/clamp is absolutely perfect as well

And this is without any packing spacers at the end/bottom of the tray as you can see to the left of the pic.  I just dropped the unit in and checked for the clamp alignment
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

ajaycad View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajaycad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 13:49
The following two pictures show the difference in the lean angle between a standard naff original stand (middle picture) and a slightly shortened Fireblade stand. 
I modified the Fireblade stand by shortening it by 20mm - I've got short legs, so lowered the suspension a little to give me more low speed confidence.

IMG_4895 by A F, on Flickr

Untitled by A F, on Flickr
Horseheed View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horseheed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 20:19
Lovely looking bike mate 👍 can you tell me what year Blade was the side stand off or what year Blackbird stand will fit ?  Cheers
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 20:31
I spotted a Gen 2 US stand on eBay earlier after reading this thread again. Worth a quick look as it's the only one I could see. I'll see if I can find it again
ajaycad View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajaycad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 23:01
Here it is……at £115 second hand I’d keep looking !!

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 23:34
Horsheed PM'd me earlier.

As I said to him they're never cheap with the carriage and import duties from th US but they are definitely worth it in my opinion

dan42 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 09:30
My bike doesn't wanna start with a fully charged battery now... It sounds like it's almost turning over but not quite. So I'm just waiting for a new powerful battery and we'll see how it goes.

And yeah, I had a closer look at my stand and it is crap, reminds me of the wonky stand I had on my RS125...

Is a Fireblade side stand from an 04-08 model a good fit with no mods required? And will the stand kill switch work too?
ajaycad View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajaycad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 09:51
Originally posted by Horseheed Horseheed wrote:

Lovely looking bike mate 👍 can you tell me what year Blade was the side stand off or what year Blackbird stand will fit ?  Cheers

I think it was a 2006 blade, it came with the stand when I bought the bike from James.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 10:02

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 10:03
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

I spotted a Gen 2 US stand on eBay earlier after reading this thread again. Worth a quick look as it's the only one I could see. I'll see if I can find it again

LOL of course you have LOL
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 10:21
Yep, my pet subject and so predictable!  Big smile  But hey, this needs to be drilled into people for their own good  Angry

I'd pretty much accepted the original was just crap when I got my Gen 1 but was always worried about it, especially when windy or parked on a slope. When I was told about the US stand on this forum and first got one I couldn't believe the difference. It puts the bike at a much better angle and is also much stronger, no more anxiety when I left the bike unattended.

So, if anyone has a Gen 2 with the original stand then I would jump on that one above before someone else does.

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 10:29

I'm not dissing Griff (Never would) but for only £5 more the link to the US stand above gets you an OE item that also has the upgraded stronger mounting plate with improved angle complete with springs etc and is ready to bolt straight on using the OE stand switch.

Another minor benefit is that being OE, you will never get an insurance assessor using it as a way of reducing any potential claim if, god forbid, the worst was to happen.

To me, the choice is a no brainer! Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic