rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neutral help required

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neutral help required
    Posted: 16 May 2022 at 20:29
Hi All you clever guys,
My 2005 RSV Factory, WILL NOT go into neutral with the engine running!
Just come back from le mans on it, every time I stopped traffic light petrol stations etc. (it was fun getting out of the bike park with thousands of other bikes) I could not find neutral! turn engine off and it clicked in perfect, It's been like this since I bought it, but used mainly for local/ short rides so was not a major issue. Very occasionally It might click in but only  1 in 30 attempts at most, and it had to be rolling quite fast to do it?  I did wonder if tickover was too fast?? sound fine to me?????
I have fitted the bigger oil jet for the clutch that griff recommends, and it has an uprated clutch cylinder
Any help solving this would be very gratefully received from this wonderful font of knowledge
Thanks in anticipation Paul
on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 21:57
Most find the click into second then down to neutral whilst coasting works, though of course you are still rolling. 
You have the oem levers on and when did you last bleed the clutch master and slave? 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 22:26
A quick bleed of the master cylinder & good to go. Just a small sniff of air will do it there. Monthly job on my old RSV & it’s turning out that way on my Superduke!
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 20:09
Thanks guys
Yes guys you are right ! thinking about it i guess the only time it went into neutral is when I was rolling towards a set of lights and i had masses of time! ironically its also that time the lights changed and I didnt actually need neutral  any way(typical)
Although I have had the bike a while, Ive not used it much as I would like, 
 and never bleed the clutch, so that my next step! and yes i do have standard levers and an Oberon cylinder.
Thats guys for your info Thumbs Up
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 20:25
Pretty certain a bleed of both master and slave will certainly improve things. 
Almost a dead cert there will be a couple of air bubbles at the top of the master 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 21:33
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

Pretty certain a bleed of both master and slave will certainly improve things. 
Almost a dead cert there will be a couple of air bubbles at the top of the master 
Thanks James,   I have my fingers crossed
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 15:23
100% agreed I used to bleed the clutch master very regularly, still a git sometimes but generally from second it would go in most times. Sure that will sort it mate.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 19:50
im getting ptsd reading this, mine was the same i clocked early on during ownership to be  rolling and it used to slip in fine, had an old 98 srad that was exactly the same.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 09:14
Sometimes when you put the bigger clutch slaves on the mc can’t move enough fluid to fully disengage the clutch, if you’ve got the original slave it might be worth swapping back to see if it’s ok with that.
chemomche View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chemomche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 12:19
Originally posted by twinfan twinfan wrote:

Thanks guys
Yes guys you are right ! thinking about it i guess the only time it went into neutral is when I was rolling towards a set of lights and i had masses of time! ironically its also that time the lights changed and I didnt actually need neutral  any way(typical)

This i what i usually do on all bike - go for neutral several meters before the stop, while the bike is still moving and it is a lot easier.
A lot of people say that the Mille neutral is hard to find, but i was riding offroad bikes last several yeas and got used to "hard to find neutral", so now on the Mille is quite easy for me to find it.

twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 22:53
Thanks again for all the info guys! i have got more than a few things to try, hopefully a combination of them all will sort me out  Thumbs Up   cheers paul
Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 22:20
If bleeding doesn't work, try changing the oil.
And if that doesn't work, remove clutch springs and check their free length against spec.
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 18:40
Thanks Rich,  Just got back from holiday, so now ready to start on the list to see what `(if any) fixes it
Cheers everyone
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic