rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trackday lever guards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trackday lever guards
    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 21:54
As of next year front brake lever guards are compulsory on all MSV circuits. I think the sad number of fatalities and ridiculous amount of red flags this year was a a factor however there's many more reasons than the above as to why that's been happening but if it saves one rider then it's a worthwhile move.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 23:03
Do people really get that close quarters on a trackday that they interfere with other riders brake levers? If so it just reinforces my opinion about trackdays and why you are safer actually racing!

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 01:16
No as a rule not at all mate, however there are other issues on track these days. The main problem in my opinion is riders in wrong groups, too many riders on track and 200bhp bikes in the wrong hands just because you can afford a 20k track bike doesn't mean you can ride the beast. Sadly a few trackday riders didn't go home this year and I think the lockdown had a big part to play in that. I personally didn't go out until a good 6-8 weeks had passed and the craziness period passed slightly and I didn't see any really sh*t track manners on the whole. It's a dangerous hobby no doubt but one I enjoy and plan to continue.
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 03:19
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

No as a rule not at all mate, however there are other issues on track these days. The main problem in my opinion is riders in wrong groups, too many riders on track and 200bhp bikes in the wrong hands just because you can afford a 20k track bike doesn't mean you can ride the beast. Sadly a few trackday riders didn't go home this year and I think the lockdown had a big part to play in that. I personally didn't go out until a good 6-8 weeks had passed and the craziness period passed slightly and I didn't see any really sh*t track manners on the whole. It's a dangerous hobby no doubt but one I enjoy and plan to continue.

i can echo a lot of this i have these on the 1199s and lets face it lever guards are for wsbk boys,

also i go in the white group aka the slow fat git group and i have to be honest i much prefer the vibe, i have ridden in all groups on quite a few tracks and its the same story, inters is always filled with people whos egos outweighs there skill, people who have done 1 trackway and think they are not noobs anymore and then you have the weekend rossis trying to impress everyone and wanting that validation of being put in the red group by divebombing everyone at every corner, f**king volatile mix, i have seen madness in the white groups as well mind, last years my brother had a micron can fire off the back of a srad 750 and miss his head by inches. 

suppose i need to get another set, 
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 07:18
If you want function over style the R&G ones are cheap and do the job. 
Can just whip it off again if you use your road bike and not a fan. It’s no bad thing to add even if there is minimal evidence of accidents occurring on track days from it. 

I had a chap ram me off during one race smashing into my left bar so I fell off the left side wrapping wrong his rear wheel in the process. He had a lever guard and maybe it prevented him coming off also. Never know now. 

It’s can also be time to awaken the Rossi/Marquez kick debate.....some say Marquez hit his front brake lever on Rossi’s bike/leg. Personally I can’t see how as he had a brake lever guard 🤭.

As you say Adam they lessen the chance of incidents from contacts happening so that’s a bonus, even if it’s small  

Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 11:22
I was planning on a cheap £8 one from eBay. The really plain ones that come as a pair that look symmetrical so effectively comes with a spare. 

Does seem funny them doing it for track days when they don't care about coolant or lockwiring. But then I guess a lever guard is a cheap safety feature that is really easy to spot as people come to pit exit. 

Not meant to aid in close racing so much as being a safety feature in case you do come in contact. Don't think you're meant to literally be banging bars together ha.
Owen
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 12:17
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Don't think you're meant to literally be banging bars together ha.

I hear everyone but seems a futile regulation to me when people rarely get that close. Of course it can't do any harm.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 14:05
Guess it's a bit like a shark fin. Does you no good if you're not sticking your fingers or toes in the chain. Or a helmet does no good if you're not banging your head. For the sake of £8 it's not bad if it makes a collision less catastrophic. Or on TDR someone pointed out the cheap option is to just remove your brake lever ha.
Owen
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 19:39
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Or on TDR someone pointed out the cheap option is to just remove your brake lever ha.

££😂😂
Brill 
Bit like some of the brakes I’ve had on K series GSXR’s. Not keen on pulling up in a rush. 
“Brakes a bit spongy Rodney?” 

£8 job sounds epic Owen. Have you sorted your reverse shift yet? I apologise I’ve not measured bits of spacers but plan a garage visit tomorrow to fit some bits on the tuono if you still require info? 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 10:08
Not yet James. Though I've just bought a shift lever from Martin on here that he made himself. He tapped the hole in the rearsets, rather than passing the bolt through and fixing with a nut on the back. 
Owen
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 07:25
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

As of next year front brake lever guards are compulsory on all MSV circuits. I think the sad number of fatalities and ridiculous amount of red flags this year was a a factor however there's many more reasons than the above as to why that's been happening but if it saves one rider then it's a worthwhile move.
13 quid  for two and they are as my Harris, in fact they look exactly the same, Adam you know I don't cut buy sh*t parts for my bike, but there including postage which took three weeks.
The Brembo perch, Brembo wanted 210 the cheapest, and I bought two for 36 quid, just incase I put the money in R1 in the dirt, plus you can't get parts for Brembo the are six months old behind and I ended up buying a new Corsa Corta for a lever.
It even has a locking nut on the adjuster. I won't chance the hydraulic stuff, as I got a Crsa Cota fit the Clutch on the Aprilia. 
You coming to Spain, we changed it from Portimao so we get 5 days and it's cheaper than three at Portimao. Drop us a line, the Thumb brake gas all gone tits up so manage to borrow a machine shop for the weekend to make a few parts.
Take care 👍
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 07:26
I forgot the link, £
£12.60  22%OFF | 1 Pair CNC Aluminum Universal Motorcycle Adjustable Brake Clutch Levers Protect Guard Handlebar 22mm
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 17:23
Awesome cheers Rich just bought a set. I held off booking anything up for obvious reasons I'm waiting to see how things are looking into the new year but I'm still well up for it planning on getting a fair few done next season I've booked two in March already one the 8th at snetterton and one on the 31stat Oulton park if you want a shakedown Wink
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 17:47
Hi Adam, I don't blame you for holding on, I took a flexi insurance out 59 quid so I can cancel. But I got no choice as I had to use my deposit, this way I can keep it and extend it.
Them gaurds are fine, I fitted them to the R1 and you could use the left one on the right too. I am going to use the the end on the other side like handle bar weights, only to look even. 
Dare I say it they are as good as my Harris one and look the same, i will take some pictures tomorrow for you. 
The Brembo perch is better than the TWM 😂
Take care, speak soon 👍
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 17:56
I would come to one of those dates, but I see a consultant about my spine injury next week, it is the most important thing to me at present. It took me nearly four months to sit on the bike, but to ride it won't be possible atm.
If I can get the OK to get on my XC mtb without damage I may be able to get ready. It really depends on the MRI. 
M9rko suggested CBD and it does help with the pain, must drop him a line to thank him.
We will see what happens, they even if takes till I am a  pensioner I shall ride that Rodeo Bull 😂😜✌️
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 21:15
That's fair enough mate obviously health is the important thing. I know plenty of people who use cbd as well as the proper stuff and it certainly works for most. You'll have to prompt Marko to say hi on here again after he bought that weapon! 

Yeah as I hadn't already bought the Portugal trip it made sense to hold off but I really want to get away. The opl day I had booked got cancelled due to the lock down and I'd just had my days coaching so I was itching to practice hopefully I haven't forgotten everything by March.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 00:32
Adam i must have passed out all the Alarms going, I have been tired all day 😂. Hey we are going to Almeria instead now as we get 2 extra days and it's cheaper and we have had such a lay off. 
So 1st of April at Almeria for five days. I will send a message on WhatsApp. Take care, Rich. 
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 11:09
Hi guys Thanks for the info on the guards and will order some as I am doing Almeria 17 to 22 March, and I am also booked on a flat track school in January hopefully will still be on (it was meant to be this weekend)
on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 11:20
Hi Paul, how are you?  There's nothimg wrong with them Harris copies. I just think some people take the pissover prices just for having your name on them, so these can jam my throttle openike the Harris had the potential to do. 
I will drop you a line, I hope you're keeping well mate, fancy Almeria on April? 

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 12:56
Originally posted by twinfan twinfan wrote:

Hi guys Thanks for the info on the guards and will order some as I am doing Almeria 17 to 22 March, and I am also booked on a flat track school in January hopefully will still be on (it was meant to be this weekend)
Nice one mate what did you buy in the end?
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 13:01
Originally posted by dog78 dog78 wrote:

Adam i must have passed out all the Alarms going, I have been tired all day 😂. Hey we are going to Almeria instead now as we get 2 extra days and it's cheaper and we have had such a lay off. 
So 1st of April at Almeria for five days. I will send a message on WhatsApp. Take care, Rich. 
No worries mate Oulton park is on the 31st of March so that's not going to be possible but perhaps another date later in the year. I was thinking more towards the end of next year. 
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 13:03

I am also booked on a flat track school in January hopefully will still be on (it was meant to be this weekend)

Interesting, where are you doing that?  I bet it will be hard work!
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 19:51
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

I am also booked on a flat track school in January hopefully will still be on (it was meant to be this weekend)

Interesting, where are you doing that?  I bet it will be hard work!

I am doing it at Pete Boasts Champion Flat track school in Lincolnshire
The video looks like it should be good fun
on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic