rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clutch fluid black

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch fluid black
    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 20:10
just noticed the clutch fluid is black but the clutch works perfect,reading that so many people seem to have problems bleeding it would you advise leaving well alone until there is actually a problem.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 20:24
Personally I would bleed it but it won’t be long before it’s black again.
Bob1 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 21:59
thanks might give it a go the weekend
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 22:20
Yep it will still go black after bleeding at some time.
bullitt1964 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 07:48
Sorry to hijack thread and ask a noob question
why does it go black cheers dave 
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 08:07
The clutch rod spins on the back of the piston and cooks it, I have an evoluzione clutch slave fitted with a bearing and the fluid hasn’t gone black in around 15yrs. Evoluzione went out of business sadly.
bullitt1964 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 13:02
Cheers 👍
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 13:25
There's no magic to bleeding the clutch. If you're just changing the fluid make sure the mc is kept topped up. If you're bleeding air, remove slave and hold it as high as you can.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Bob1 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 13:32
going to give it a go tomorrow thats what I have been thinking how hard can it be but a lot of people seem to struggle with it 
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 14:24
Going black is just to do with the rubber seals in the slave isn't it? I thought if you either lubed the OEM ones or got a different type of seal you wouldn't get the blackening. In any event I don't think black fluid necessarily means the clutch needs bleeding.

Owen
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 14:24
Originally posted by Bob1 Bob1 wrote:

going to give it a go tomorrow thats what I have been thinking how hard can it be but a lot of people seem to struggle with it 

Sad but true,nobody seems to be taught anything useful these days,just how to be a parts changer

I really don't understand how anyone can have issues bleeding such a simple circuit,it must just be my misspent youth struggling to keep old cars going that educated me in the art  Confused

Raise this,hang that,leave this held overnight ?

FFS,you couldn't make it up,should be a 10 min job at the outside and take minimal fluid

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 14:44
I’ve never lubed the seals in the evoluzione slave and the fluid has never gone black in 15 years that its been fitted, goes slightly darker but at times its been in maybe 4 years.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 14:45
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Originally posted by Bob1 Bob1 wrote:

Sad but true,nobody seems to be taught anything useful these days,just how to be a parts changer

I really don't understand how anyone can have issues bleeding such a simple circuit,it must just be my misspent youth struggling to keep old cars going that educated me in the art  Confused

Raise this,hang that,leave this held overnight ?

FFS,you couldn't make it up,should be a 10 min job at the outside and take minimal fluid

I think it only becomes difficult if you have an empty system. When I upgraded to an MPL slave it was initially very difficult to get fluid through however it's never been an issue at all since when doing a regular bleed / fluid change.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 14:47
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

The clutch rod spins on the back of the piston and cooks it, I have an evoluzione clutch slave fitted with a bearing and the fluid hasn’t gone black in around 15yrs. Evoluzione went out of business sadly.

Any pics, wondering if it's something we can do to mod other makes
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 16:36
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

I think it only becomes difficult if you have an empty system. When I upgraded to an MPL slave it was initially very difficult to get fluid through however it's never been an issue at all since when doing a regular bleed / fluid change.

Should be just as easy from empty,I sometimes remove the nipple till gravity's done it's thing,finger over bleed,couple of pumps,hold lever/pedal in/down, nipple back in,then just a few pumps to bleed normally.

Finally crack open the upper banjo if it hasn't got it's own bleed while operating the lever and holding down to expel any residual air in the upper system and it's usually job done,never yet had to resort to any one way valves,reverse bleeding or raising calipers/slaves.

I'm not clever ( although my Mrs has been known to mutter something about special ..needs Confused) ,sometimes people just seem to want to complicate things so remember  K.I.S.S.

Old skool rools Wink

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 17:06
Fitted new slave on mine last week , looked up how to bleed on the net “ Aprilia 2009 Tuono “ and our mate griff has a video of him doing it , followed this and 8 to 10 double pumps did it . Think the top tip is putting a band around clutch lever from his video Smile
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 18:05
I fit the slave and fill it up via a syringe first, then just bleed as Ian says, never a problem.

Got a new slave for the Duc to fit over winter as well. Should make it slightly lighter, though not causing fappers wrist or anything as is Big smile
Question everything.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 21:11
Originally posted by Diablo Diablo wrote:

I fit the slave and fill it up via a syringe first, then just bleed as Ian says, never a problem.

That was probably my mistake, I don't think I pre-primed mine.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 21:20
No real need,just remove the bleed nipple and let gravity fill the slave and the trapped air will just rise to the open port.Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 21:36

No real need,just remove the bleed nipple and let gravity fill the slave and the trapped air will just rise to the open port.Wink

I hear you Ian but it didn't work for me. Having said that I may not have completely removed the nipple, can't remember
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 21:56
It would make a difference I think as no small gaps then,just an open port and the air rises to the top automatically with the fluid.

Obviously wouldn't be as easy for the rear brake caliper with a lower bleed though.

I'll be interested to see what difference it makes when I came to refill my rear lines now I have the feed on the lower port and the bleed on the upper.

Although having said that it was only about 1/4 hrs job last time I stripped the system down and started from scratch without moving the caliper. Think I may have used as many as 4 res fulls to bleed completely,after two top ups I did wonder if I was going to have issues though but it stayed air free until it was time for it's next service so all good.

Two or three fills the target next time Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 01:17
Should anyone require it, I have a limited stock of genuine BLACK Aprilia clutch fluid for sale.
Yes, you read that correctly, BLACK! Very hard to get.
Do not get this confused with the weaker amber brake fluid clear stuff.
This is the genuine 'badass Aprilia black' limited edition as used by 'mutha's' that want to whup and wheelie.  It's also a perfect replacement for the original, especially for those that liketo keep their bikes looking stock.. Improved clutch action too, ALL BLACK and mean looking as hell...bonus..gives you massive bragging rights too.   £49.99 per 500ml.
Sorry no offers.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 13:19
Clap

Epic,I bet some muppet will be pm'ing you LOL

Got any oil recommendations then Keith? Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 18:12
Ha!
I've already sold 3 litres....LOL
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:26

I'll be interested to see what difference it makes when I came to refill my rear lines now I have the feed on the lower port and the bleed on the upper.

So Ian, you've swapped the flow direction on the rear brake caliper?

Interesting!  Have you ran it like that, does it operate properly?

If it works, it's such a simple mod to ease annual brake bleeding it's amazing it's not been mentioned on here numerous times.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 16:55
Not done final assembly yet but FYI both drilled and tapped ports on the caliper are identical so no issues there.

You do need a slightly longer line though,but as I was putting rearsets on anyway I just got a new line made up to suit with a 90° cranked end. 

In theory it should be a better install but honestly I've never had an issue with usage or bleeding with the caliper in situ anyway so I doubt I'll see any difference,it was just one of the things that wasn't right so I changed it.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 23:18
had mine changed it west instant black. no joke.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 22:14
Originally posted by JimGreezy JimGreezy wrote:

Hahahahaaa...brilliant!
I used to give the seals a good coating of ShinEtsu silicone grease once a year.
Doesn't cure it, but the fluid stays clear for much longer.
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 00:13
Originally posted by Tifa Tifa wrote:

Originally posted by JimGreezy JimGreezy wrote:

Hahahahaaa...brilliant!
I used to give the seals a good coating of ShinEtsu silicone grease once a year.
Doesn't cure it, but the fluid stays clear for much longer.

nice,
i just completely stopped worrying about it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic