rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Ride Outs / Meets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loomies bike meet Wednesday s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loomies bike meet Wednesday s
    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 08:14
Don't go here very often now because of police  presence on the roads around the area, heard last week or so ago they were stopping and checking visor kite marks , please check yours if not original, FTM might have some knowledge of this as I know he visits this area sometimes?
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 17:00
the c**ts must be board, i have always worn a tinted visor!!?? whats the deal with the law and tinted visors?
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 17:11
I passed there Sunday but didn't stop as it was crowded. The only Police car I saw was parked up in a layby near Winchester, luckily I was going in the opposite direction and saw him in plenty of time. Checking visor kite marks will massively reduce accidents Wacko. Not.
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 17:29
I've got small plate , full Akro baffles out, that's why I don't go there very often!
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 17:43
I was heading into matlock bath sunday and got waved down 
And told to turn round due to the fuzz presence.
I usualy go to non obvious places and shall do from now on.
My indicators/numberplate etc are all standard,
I was going to swap them as usual,but its not worth it nowadays.
Ive an mtc can but its more deep than loud and a light smoked visor that came free with the hjc.

I think them drop down visor helmets are the best bet these days.
Theyll get you on anything to top up the xmas dinner vouchers.
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 09:03
Both my helmets have the drop down sun visors ,seem to work ok for me? AGV & HJC .
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 12:50
So useful I wouldn't buy a helmet without an internal drop down now 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 15:19
Yes, at first I thought the drop down visor was a bit of a gimmick , but as you say wouldn’t buy a helmet without it now.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 21:35
I've never found a helmet with a drop down visor that fits. Always pinch on the forehead, they seem to steal space from that area and usually suffer from a ventilation point of view too as it's impossible to ventilate that frontal area.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 22:16
I'd never really given an internal visor a thought till I was mooching around a bike shop waiting for something one day and saw a helmet that I fancied in a display case.

I tried it on and it could have been custom made for me so I bought it on the spot,can't remember whether I actually got what I'd gone in there for though LOL

This was a brand I'd never heard of but they are quite well known in Europe I believe MT, Portuguese irrc.  Polycarb obviously not GF or CF but light and comfy

Anyway it was super comfy,ACU gold badged,and I got a discount on it as well,best fitted lid I've ever had. Crashed well too,just got the decals scuffed a bit but needed a new visor afterwards.

I liked it so much that after a couple of years I replaced it with another identical that I found in The Sportsbike Shop when they were having a clear out of last seasons gear.

Got that for absolute song as it was the last one they had I think,well chuffed.  The dark drop down is worth the price alone and in spite of never bothering to use a Pin Lock I've never had any misting,although I try not to ride in that kind of weather anyway.

I've never consciously missed any ventilation but I don't know how it would compare with brands other than Roof which I had before.

As you can tell I've never been a helmet snob Big smile  Although not for the lack of trying,it's just I've never found something comfortable that I gelled with,I've tried on so many bloody uncomfortable Arai,Shoei and Shark etc that I'd had given up in frustration even though I was prepared to pay ( if I had to).
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 00:05
best old one i had was a shoei raid,their budget helmet at the time
and the blue matched my 98 r1 perfectly back in 2000.
that was a great helmet.
tried loads of shoei since and none fit right,
same at the nec last year,took me hours to find a helmet that was comfy.
didnt get on with arai either,felt huge and bulbous and old fashioned.
lots of nice carbon bell ones that didnt feel right.

i liked the foggarty rep shark speed r with drop down visor,lovely helmet...
but i always seem to get on with hjc.
my old fg15 iirc i still have,ive owned it well over 10yrs,maybe 15 even.(black with black visor)

the drop down visor is great,looks like a tinted visor is fitted from a distance,
if its hot,you can open the main visor and just have the drop down one in place,
and no carrying a clear incase it goes dark or worrying about plod.
win win.
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 09:26
Ian that is a great looking helmet
on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:01
Looks decent that. How much was it?

How long do people keep helmets anyway? I've got mates who are on their 3rd helmets in 3 years, while I've been using the same one through that time. Though they were changing for different designs or something rather than any fears of deterioration. I was thinking I'd get 6 years out of mine, so long as it stays crash free. 
Owen
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:10
The quality manufacturers say five years from purchase or seven from date of manufacture. Cheaper, polycarbonate stuff generally less. So buying that end of line bargain maybe isn't the bargain you think it is because it could already be into year three or four since manufacture.

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:40
Originally posted by twinfan twinfan wrote:

Ian that is a great looking helmet

Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Looks decent that. How much was it?

How long do people keep helmets anyway? I've got mates who are on their 3rd helmets in 3 years, while I've been using the same one through that time. Though they were changing for different designs or something rather than any fears of deterioration. I was thinking I'd get 6 years out of mine, so long as it stays crash free. 

How much?  Don't laugh but I gave £75 LOL

They were retail about £150 I think and I got the first for £115
Told you I'm not a helmet snob

And no,I don't feel shortchanged,under value my life etc etc. If I have a accident that gets past this helmet then hey,sh*t happens

Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

The quality manufacturers say five years from purchase or seven from date of manufacture. Cheaper, polycarbonate stuff generally less. So buying that end of line bargain maybe isn't the bargain you think it is because it could already be into year three or four since manufacture.

I can't remember now but I think the manufacturing stamp was a year old when I got this from Sportsbike Shop.

I was planning on a £400+ carbon Guintoli rep

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/420264

But then I looked in their sale section and found another Blade in my size for almost half what I'd paid previously I couldn't click the mouse quick enough,I'd not long paid 1/3 of that for a new visor!

Generally I'd keep a helmet 3 or 4 years or until it starts feeling it's time to replace

If I can get another one of these I'd do it without thinking as it's far more comfortable than a Shark Spartan which was the nearest I could find to it with an internal drop down.

One you've experienced riding with the smoked internal down and the main lifted on a blistering hot day you won't want a conventional one again 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/clearance/_/(1;product_rating;DESC;0-0;m146)/page_0/max_20

Go on slum it a bit,you may be pleasantly surprised Wink

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:54
I’ve got one of these but the gold edition.
https://www.nexx-helmets.com/en/helmets/x-r2/
Great helmets for the money and two friends have the sx100 I think with the internal visor, they do a clip in intercom as well.
Sonsman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:07
My last two helmets have been Arai's but swapping visors is a PIA. 

I tried on a Shoei at the NEC show a couple of years ago which had a drop down visor but I couldn't get my glasses to sit properly on my nose so it was a non starter much to my disappointment. My wife uses an HJC with the drop down visor and loves it so I think I need to try on a few different brands. I saw a Bell the other day with a drop down which looked really good.  
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:23
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Thanks for that Thumbs Up

My helmet was about £115 I think Ian so I'm not judging on your choice. Scorpion Exo something or other. It looked to be a safe option, mainly losing out to the more expensive ones on weight, ventilation, noise and appearance. Basically I thought the core function of protecting my head is similar, it's just missing the bells and whistles. Though mine does have the dropdown visor, cliplock and even quick release cheek pads to give easier access to paramedics. I've only used the drop down visor when riding in winter when the sun is low. Prefer a clear visor, even in the bright sun in Spain.

Comfort is a personal thing isn't it as we all have odd shaped heads. 
Owen
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 18:16
HJC helmets do cater for spectacles to be worn , dare say others are following or already do ?
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 05:57
I couldn't go back to a helmet without a drop down visor now, I've been using HJC's for about 10 years. Just before lockdown I bough a top of the range Arai RX-7V but regretted it as soon as I got it home. The fit was okay but all the clips and catches just seemed so flimsy to me. In the middle of winter with cold fingers I could see me snapping them off, plus the thought of having to carry a spare tinted visor everywhere, so I returned it and bought another HJC.
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 17:53
That scorpion exo carbon gets great reviews and is highly recommended.
My rpha 11 fits like a glove and the ventilation is superb!
Should be £359 but got it for £199 with a clear visor 
and a free light smoked one.
I do prefer the drop down visor ones these days 
but this was to good a bargain to miss.
Think ill try an mt one as a spare,cant go wrong at £69
And they do one with green on lol.
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 18:41
Everyone's head is different when it comes to helmets, hated shoei to much wind noise, AGV not much better HJC is best out of the 3 . But the best was a Shark I had yrs ago. Only buy sub 180 pound ones in the Feb sales usually.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 21:19
True that,I think I must have an odd shaped head as I find it frustrating to get a comfy helmet.

They either seem to pinch my fore head or perch on top of my head and leave my chin feeling exposed,and that's before you get into features or colours or how easy a visor fits.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 08:42
Made it to Loomies Cafe yesterday, beat the scameras as I arrived at 7:30 (opens 8:00) loads of bikes rolled up  about 40+ by the time I finished my bacon bap and coffees, kept off the main roads to and fro which is pretty easy 56 mls round trip , beautiful scenery and sunshine 🌞 . Happy Biker.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 09:10
Sounds perfect 

Must be a year since I went to Loomies 

I like the Departure Lounge near Basingstoke. Good roads to and from also and can always link it to a loomies run for bike viewing 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
10acious View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10acious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 20:55
I’ve had the same problem with tight fit on forehead. Take a look at the Arai QV Pro. Also look for helmets that fit long oval head shape.
03 Tuono
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic