rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Technical info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poorly RSVR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steweylewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poorly RSVR
    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 18:05
I have owned my 2005 Factory from new, but she was off the road while my kids were young - sleep deprivation, etc!
Mileage 6.5k
So after 8 years off the road she was recommissioned by a local garage.

New injectors from Aprilia.
Tank/filter/pump all flushed.
New plugs, fluids all around, etc.

She was running great, then ...
Part way through the first tank of petrol she started to intermittently run on 1 cylinder.
Thereafter on each cold start it was mostly 1 cylinder.

They have the bike back now and are scratching their heads.
They say the plug on the cylinder that's not firing is white, so no fuel.
It has new plugs (again).
They have swapped the caps/leads/injectors around and the problem doesn't shift to the other cylinder.

When it is warm it 'mostly' runs great, but did cause damage to the plug in the dicky cylinder.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for them to investigate so I can get my baby back.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 18:37
Personally if the garage are scratching heads I would get it over to Griff, he’s only down the a38 at Tamworth.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 18:43
Have they checked for an injector pulse if they think it’s not fueling on that cylinder ? 

Not sure how they diagnosed no fuel from a white plug or did you mean dry plug ? A white ish or overheating plug would indicate very lean running not no fuel at all. 

The temp of the affected Cylinder header Should tell you if any combustion is going on. If it’s just a bad misfire and not 1 cylinder, check the vac pipes on the map sensor for splits etc. 

steweylewey View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steweylewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 19:03
Thanks for the prompt replies.
I’m sure they are clued up, but it is not obvious.
They are playing with race bikes until Monday, when they will be putting it on the dyno and investigating further.
I was just looking for a quick win from someone’s experience to pass on.

I’m not so close to Tamworth and the bike was not rideable before the recommission.
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 10:30
I would think about getting it over to see griff although the people who have your bike know what they are doing AP know apriliers and what the possible causes are and will be able to solve the problem quicker saving you time and money in the long run sometimes a couple of hours can pass while heads are being scratched 
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 15:03
I agree with Griff suggestion
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 15:24
I wouldn't allow anyone else near my bikes,my local Aprilia dealers are a bunch of inept cowboys
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 16:56
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

I wouldn't allow anyone else near my bikes,my local Aprilia dealers are a bunch of inept cowboys

+1 on that. Having dealt with aprilia dealer in north Wales inept is being kind
born ugly what's your excuse!!
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:42
Is 'plug' just a typo, as these engines have 2 per cylinder?
What made them replace the injectors?

People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:47
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

Not on a Gen 2
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steweylewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 13:26
Original injectors were toast.
They tried to resurrect, but no joy so goodbye £600.
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 09:05
Toast? Not possible to service? 
Would have been cheaper? No?
Shake'n bake
Bladerunner919 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bladerunner919 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by steweylewey steweylewey wrote:

Original injectors were toast.
They tried to resurrect, but no joy so goodbye £600.

That comment alone suggests that you need to find a new garage. Unless the injectors' electrics had burned out (incredibly unlikely, to the point of not even worth considering), a clean and refurb should have sorted any problems for tens-of-pounds rather than hundreds-of-pounds.

I'd get the bike away from them as soon as possibly.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Not on a Gen 2

Ah, right. Is that a backward step or not?
I thought twin plugs produced better combustion; why did they revert to single plug heads?
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:00
Seconded

They sound like they haven't a clue and I can only say again AP Workshops,once you've been there you honestly won't want anyone else to touch your bike.

There may be just a few people/places in the UK that know Aprilias well and are trustworthy but I'm guessing that they were probably taught by Griff when he was Aprilia Tech back in the day when these bikes were current.

For service and support there is no better

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:01

Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Not on a Gen 2

Ah, right. Is that a backward step or not?
I thought twin plugs produced better combustion; why did they revert to single plug heads?

As I understand it the twin plugs are to overcome the deficiencies of a less than ideal combustion chamber shape
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:20
As Ian sad it’s to overcome combustion deficiencies. If your getting an incomplete burn especially as rpm increases you either have to increase the ignition advance or run 2 plugs with staggered firing time to get the job done. 

The latter is preferable to the former power wise but is more expensive to produce. So you ideally want to sort out why your burn is less than ideal. Which they did on later heads and went to single plug as a result. 

Danrsv View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danrsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 21:56
Can anyone help me please 04 Mille new battery and solenoid runs amazing then absolutely nothing just the starter motor spinning not firing or cranking just spinning over😢😢😢
Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:30
Starter sprag clutch/flywheel. Fixable, as its a common fault, usually caused by poor battery charge or connection. It can be caused by trying to start the bike with the throttle open...never, ever do this.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 17:10
£600 f**k me !!!  That when you say stop work on the bike and collect it  Asap

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 17:36
Originally posted by steweylewey steweylewey wrote:

They have swapped the caps/leads/injectors around and the problem doesn't shift to the other cylinder.

This eliminated most of the ideas I had. What in the head alone could prevent or severely restrict fuelling? I can't think of anything..

EDIT: Just read a bit further and it sounds like they weren't able to fix the injectors and stuck new ones in. Then that - and the fact he hasn't been back since - looks like problem solved. 
Owen
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 17:46
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

EDIT: Just read a bit further and it sounds like they weren't able to fix the injectors and stuck new ones in. Then that - and the fact he hasn't been back since - looks like problem solved. 

He mentioned they were busy and would put it on the dyno for another look yesterday.  ££££££
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 18:49
Another walking wallet heading for the cleaners Ouch

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 18:58
Ah right thanks 👍 well hopefully it runs well on the dyno.
Owen
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steweylewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 22:58
They are still working on it.
Keep you all posted.

Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steweylewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:39
Okay, they have come full circle and it is something they thought they had ruled out - just a spark plug cap!

This is a no longer available part though:
ap0265246

So what are people using - they don't want to use a generic part?
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steweylewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:51
2 new caps being posted from AP Workshops today
Fingers crossed
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:55
Well done Clap  

Now to start enjoying the ride Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 16:01
Ah makes sense ha. When you said they swapped it all round and it was still the same cylinder was thinking either they didn't swap it all round or there's something going on I can't imagine. Thanks for keeping us updated. Quick work finding those replacement caps aye.
Owen
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steweylewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 19:51
Dodgy cap is providing a spark when off the plug, but not reliably when on!
Summat must flex inside - you could say it’s broken.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic