rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gen 2 general fuel filter question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen 2 general fuel filter question
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 21:51
Evening all - no problem with the bike and still finding my around it (57 Factory) & I like to keep on top of things, rather do preventative maintenance than repairs. There's a lot of noise on t'net about fuel filter changes & in tank fuel line change/repairs. Are these items worth checking, can't see any mention in servicing? Never had to do in tank filters on other bikes, is there a weakness here worth investing a couple hours in or is just the advice of keyboard experts to each other? Thanks.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 22:26
Evening dude 

I’d definitely take out the pump and change the inline filter and clean or replace the tea bag one.

Once it’s out you will see why it was needed trust me! 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
MikeyR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 22:33
OK, ta for the heads up, job for a wet Sunday I think....
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 22:34
Yes mate. 

I’m not far away remember if stuck or unsure I’m available 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
MikeyR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 22:40
Wigginsjp - just occurred to me, are there special connectors/crimps needed for the pipework? 
MikeyR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 22:45
Appreciate the offer, may well take you up on that, thanks.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 22:46
Depends

There is a special tool to take off the fuel pipe at the throttle bodies rather than base of the pump if it still has the oem one fitted. You can use side cutters to remove it though putting it back on is fiddly. If it’s been replace it may just be a jubilee fuel hose clip type.
Drain the tank first is the best thing to do. Other than than it’s some Allen keys some 10mm and 7 or 8mm sockets by memory. 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 06:15
James is bang on there and definitely worth doing I've had my fair share of pump issues in the past from poor maintenance by previous owner. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Sparky46 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 19:54
While you are in there check the condition of the fuel lines on the pump as this was the part that failed for me. Also at a later date the wire broke for the low fuel light....found that fault out the hard way.

MikeyR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 21:07
Thanks for input ,much appreciated. Excuse the basic questions, I'll get there eventually...
Are those internal hoses crimped on with single use clips or can they be reused with side cutters or do they need some type of OEM tool? Any idea what caused that split hose , age, ethanol, just bad luck?
I've a bit more now to add to the list for the 18K service later this year, cheers!
Sparky46 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 21:24
I think it was due to the ethanol in the fuel probably but that corregated hose was pretty thin as well. I replace it with some submersible fuel hose that I got off Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281861295847 

The clamps I cut off and replaced with oetiker clamps that were the right size for the diameter of the hose.(12.3 - 14.8mm)

Once this was done 500 miles later the hose decided to blow itself off the fuel pump. I think this was due to the hose softening or expanding slightly after being submerged in the fuel. I replaced the clamps again and never has any more bother after that. 
MikeyR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 21:39
It looked a bit flimsy in your pic, I guess the pressure is running at enough to find any weakness. I'll do a bit of research on the clamps, may actually have some at work in the stores.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 22:01
Just a fyi, not all hose sold as 'submersible' is actually suitable

The genuine hose is Cohline SAE J30 R9 made by Gates,some of the stuff sold by kit car suppliers etc is just a look alike,the genuine stuff will marked every few inches with the full id

It's actually easier to find these days it seems,I got some pattern stuff when I was desperate but will now buy a length of the good stuff

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Sparky46 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 22:23
Yeah It was a gates hose that I used. Just checked the length I still have left and it's stamped 4219-05185. Hopefully was the right stuff.

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 22:48
Looks like it,I suppose R10 is just a later version

When I get round to unearthing the Mille I'll check what condition the stuff I used is in now Confused
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic