rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV4 > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rsv mille wont start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rsv mille wont start
    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 13:47
it goes like this, it wont start after few days standing. 

usually it starts bit then dies, and after that just cranking but cannot start.

and then:  after usually 10-15 hours, it will start again. 

what it can be?

removed tank, put new fuel, check wires, there are spark, there are fuel..
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 15:13
maybe it’s flooding.   Bit of fast idle lever if it’s cold and don’t touch the throttle. Over the 15 hours the excess fuel will evaporate hence maybe why it starts.  If batt is anything other than 95% it won’t have a strong enough spark.
Fitz View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 15:27
this has happened to me when out and about normally I use an Allen key from the tool kit to jam the throttle bodies open, and let it sit for 20-30 mins normally does the trick, just remember to remove the Allen key before starting otherwise you'll have full open throttle !!!!!!!
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 18:22
I had the same problem starting from cold. Even when on a battery tender.
If it didn't catch first time, I'd have to put the charger back on, walk away for 40 mins, and then try again.
It would also crank slowly when hot. I fitted a bigger battery, but it was the same. After I fitted the John Walker heavy duty cable kit and 150 amp solenoid, I've never had a problem starting since. It catches first time every time and the starter spins quickly.
The original starter and battery cables barely pass enough current and it's probably fouling plugs.

Question everything.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 20:31
As the boys above say.

They have a way of starting that once mastered works a treat and again as Rick said, check solenoid is s genuine 150amp and the cables for corrosion. When new they weren't great for current and at best it's 17years old now on the OEM ones 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:40
mine cranks pretty fast.

I just ordered new wiring cables for baterry. 

I hope that will solve it

thanks all for posts! 
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 18:41
same proboem with new wiring.

if it doesnt start from first attempt, it wont anymore. 

just cranking.. spark plugs are wet.

after ~1 day, you can start again. 

wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 19:38
As Spoonz said it’s flooding.

Just wondering if the throttle bodies been balanced of late but they would need to be a country mile out to be that bad. 

Full fast idle no additional throttle press start is the way to start these from cold. 

What do you do different the day after to start it? Try lifting the tank and airbox off see if any backfire through the throttle bodies. Just don’t burn eyebrows off if it goes. Check that the fast idle is closing the butterflies properly 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 21:07
what you mean by flooding? too much fuel?

fast idle is thing on left handlebar? for rising revs? 

I just leave it ~20 hours and then new chance to start. before that no way.

maybe coils/coil wires went bad? and spark is too weak? as I smell petrol when cranking
spiceweasel View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiceweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 20:10
have u tried new plugs by any chance?
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 14:02
Originally posted by petarr petarr wrote:

what you mean by flooding? too much fuel?

fast idle is thing on left handlebar? for rising revs? 

I just leave it ~20 hours and then new chance to start. before that no way.

maybe coils/coil wires went bad? and spark is too weak? as I smell petrol when cranking

Flooding yes too much fuel but only as it hasn't ignited in time and soaks the plugs. So as above first step is new plugs. Coils and cables will break down with age but it has enough to start it once it's had an overnight nap. 

The manual states from cold to ensure battery is fully charged, so on an optimate or similar, fast idle on left bar fully on, no throttle and press the starter. Provided there is enough power to crank it then you should find that way starts it. 

Yes people have done a combination of above but that is the only guaranteed way I found to start my old gen1. I'd have to warm it for a bit as the fast idle needed to be on for a bit if I started riding straight away. If the plugs don't make a difference I'd ask when the throttle bodies were last balanced but it would of been riding like a pig which I assume once started it doesn't? 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 14:21
if your thinking is that your flooding, try less fast idle. Me personally I use very little fast idle and the bike starts fine. 

If it still won’t start I suspect the spark is less than ideal, either due to cranking voltage drop, tired plugs etc. I think the tb would need to be vastly out to stop it starting but in combination with other things it’s might be a contributing factor. 
Douglie View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douglie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:40
There are a couple of odd things which affected mine recently. My side stand switch is playing up and doesn’t always illuminate to tell you it’s down. 
As soon as you try and pull away it stutters and conks out, with a delayed chuff sound somewhere near the front of the engine. I did that after a night shift when I was tired. Once i realised the stand was down, slapped my forehead and re started it, it was sluggish (wet plugs) and coughed a bit on my ride home. I changed the starter solenoid and it’s been fine ever since. I’ve removed the brown plug to the reg/rectifier and doubled up the neg. as that was causing mega resistance when hot and causing the same symptoms. Non starting and resetting clocks. Charges at 14+v at idle now. Food for thought maybe?
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 20:32
oh man.. so much good infos , thank you all!

meanwhile, I replaced all wirings (starter-battery-ground-regulator). 

then I connect again pins on ecu (I had one wire cut for more fuel).

then I check spark plugs again (they have maybe 4.000km max). gapped  them again and they looked like new. 

still nothing. then yesterday I tried with new plugs ..and it somehow started. damn it. old plugs looked like new and were regaped.

so it seems  it were plugs. I will try again every day, if problem doesnt occur again, plugs were to blame !

thanks all on help I appreciate it 
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 13:03
AGAIN same thing. 

If I pull full "start help" on left bar, it have different cranking noise and also wont start. also dials doing a bit of dancing while cranking. 

all others like before . 

Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 19:17
Hey bud sorry to hear/read about your problem.you say cranking noise?
Is it a horrible noise?don't want to jump the gun but if it is could be sprag.
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 13:11
when I put choke/left bar thing (dont know english word), then noise is strange. like kicking. bit if i start it regulary, with a bit of throttle then cranking is just normal

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 14:02
What’s the cranking speed like ? Given the dancing clocks it sounds like something is drawing a lot of power assuming your battery is 100%. Maybe the starter or the cables to it are less than great. Consider upgrading the starter cables. 
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 21:04
cranking speed fast. charged accu. just wont start. plugs are a bit wet. after those atempts. 

cables upgraded, all 3 or 4 of them. 

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 21:44
Try less fast idle. Any different ?
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 10:15
no, wont start with idle. without idle it starts but dies, and if I dont menage to hold it alive first few seconds, it dies. and then no chance to start next ~15 hours. till plugs dont go dry I have feeling. 

maybe spark plug cables or coils are weak? 

Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 13:32
Are you getting good strong sparks?
If clocks are moving about, while cranking, you are having a parasit draw somewhere, all of the energy is not reaching the sparkplugs.
Are your coils old, new, cracks??? 
Shake'n bake
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 14:48
thanks on that info. 

coils and coil cables are old. 

Will check spark, need to pull all plugs out and check it? as i tried pull just one, and crank, but there was crazy noise from cylinder so I quit test Big smile
petarr View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 12:13
SOLVED by synching thottle bodies. By miself. One long hose. Very simple and solved thing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic