rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Technical info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gen 2 wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen 2 wheels
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:41
Am I correct in thinking that gen 2 OZ wheels will need 1mm skimming off? Is this from the disk mounting face?

Cheers,
Mark
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 14:11
Do you mean for gen 2 OZ wheels going on Gen 1?

Axial or radial forks?
Question everything.
Pan View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 15:48
Yes gen 2 OZ wheels on gen 1 axial forks 👍
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 16:51
2.5mm from the disc mounting face each side

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Pan View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 17:39
Cheers 👍 is that to centre the disk in the calliper?

Mark
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 19:36
Yup Wink

Although why people don't just space the calipers I don't know
Confused 

I would think as it's only the area of a washer contact on both fasteners that it would be just as effective and safe.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Pan View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 20:20
That’s what I was thinking 4 x 2.5mm shims on the bolts between the calliper and the mount would work out the same? Obviously skimming the wheel would be the only way with radial callipers. 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 20:45
I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work perfectly, it's just that conventional thinking says you have to mill/turn the wheels down? Shocked

As a precision engineer for 50 years I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't do this to fit later wheels.
No way would I attempt machining the hubs,too much chance of inaccuracy and then the wheels would need shimming for their original purpose.

I would use custom stainless spacers though, not just any old washersWink

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Pan View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 20:52
yes me too, if I do get the wheels I’m after then I’ll have some made 👍 got to be cheaper and easier and as you say reversible 
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 22:20
The calipers on an axial front end bolt onto the back of the fork leg so you would have to machine the caliper mounting face or the rear of the fork leg.
Pan View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 23:24
wouldnt that be doing the opposite of what we are aiming for? By removing 2.5mm from the wheel we are moving the disc closer to the centre line of the wheel but if we removed metal from the callipers or  mounting face of the forks aren't we moving the calliper a way from the centre line making the misalignment worse? 
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 23:30
You either have to machine the wheel to pull the disc in to line with the caliper or machine the caliper mounting face to pull the caliper out to line up with the disc.
Pan View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 23:40
yes thinking about it that makes sense Thumbs Up
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 08:51
Doh 😔  Just throwing the idea out there to see if anyone was awake! Embarrassed

Congrats, you all passed the test and immediately picked up on the obvious flaw. Cough. Wink

I blame the fact I've not looked at axial calipers for years. Thought it was strange nobody thought of it before.

Sleepy
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Pan View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 14:16
LOL
Pan View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 23:56
Right I’ve had a cockup that’s forced me to have a rethink. I was intending using a gen1 tuono top yoke but the one I had was for ohlins forks and s little tatty so I had the fork holes machined to accept showa legs. However they’ve screwed it up so it’s now scrap! My question was if I use a complete set of gen2 yokes will that get around the need to machine the OZ wheel? I’m presuming that they space the forks 5mm further apart?

Ya,
Matk
Pan View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 00:53
Ignore that I’ve found my answer, the gen2 hub is 5mm wider between disc faced so back to the drawing board 🙄

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic