rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Showa Fork Outer anodizing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Showa Fork Outer anodizing
    Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 16:59
Has anyone had the forks re-anodized? Iam thinking of sending them out for a nice golden finish, but after speaking to the shop I am not so sure. They advised they'd be able to only get a soft anodized finish. They said hard anodizing can only be done with a black or gun metal finish and that soft anodizing can chip and fade easily. 
Would this be money wasted or should I just grow up and try not to make them mimic Ohlins?
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 18:21
Not a fan of anodising ali forks.
The process can erode the ali resulting in loose seals/bushes.

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 18:52
have a chat to Griff at Aprilia performance he has a supplier he uses to offer this service 

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 19:05
tifa what would be the alternative powder coating or what 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 19:21
I would hope a decent anodiser would blank off the internal areas so that surfaces for bushes etc are untouched.  If the original anodise is chemically stripped that will slightly affect the outer dimensions as the anodise penetrates a few microns into the metal so your removing material to get rid of it.

Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:08
Not related to anodizing, but I once had a set of forks stripped and polished. Went to fit them and the yokes could no longer clamp them LOL LOL
Question everything.
aaressveeguy View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:21
hmm, thanks for the inputs everyone. Think won't bother with the anodizing now. Thinking of vinyl wrapping now-should be lot cheaper if I manage to DIY somehow. Also this would increase the dia of the outer, so fitment shouldn't be problem. 
I was thinking of wrapping the side panels on the rsv plus the air duct covers on the cbr so worth a shot :)
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:22
@Diablo
and then?
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 15:53
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

I would hope a decent anodiser would blank off the internal areas so that surfaces for bushes etc are untouched.  If the original anodise is chemically stripped that will slightly affect the outer dimensions as the anodise penetrates a few microns into the metal so your removing material to get rid of it.

Spoonz has the right of it.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 16:34

MCT did mine when they re-valved them.
Look gorgeous, anodised the outer tubes and used a harder plating on the lowers

Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 19:13
Originally posted by aaressveeguy aaressveeguy wrote:

@Diablo
and then?

Had a cup of tea. Scratched my head a bit. Then got some shims made up. Wink

Question everything.
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 21:16
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

I received the other rocker cover gasket yesterday. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic