rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another tyre question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chillmts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another tyre question
    Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 08:47
I know everyone seems he be recommending metzeler m7rr's. But has anyone tried Bridgestone BT-016 ? A mate has tried them on his s1000rr and raves about them, but what are they like on the gen 1. Or am I worrying to much?
Blender81 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blender81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 09:14
I have them currently and think they ride quite nice, feel plenty  grippy and seem good value for mony. but I'm no expert, and I'm also directly comparing them to 14 year old Metzelers Big smile
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 09:19
Have them on a zx9r, good tyres that do what it says on the tin.
deloco7 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deloco7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 09:23
Heard a few people with Aprilias praise the 016 - possibly more so the 016 Pro (if there's a difference I dont know). Also heard good reports about the S20 /S21

I've not had any Bridgestones apart from the 023 which were decent enough, good mileage out of them.
KermitLefrog View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitLefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 09:43
Originally posted by deloco7 deloco7 wrote:

Heard a few people with Aprilias praise the 016 - possibly more so the 016 Pro (if there's a difference I dont know). Also heard good reports about the S20 /S21

I've not had any Bridgestones apart from the 023 which were decent enough, good mileage out of them.

The BT-016 is now an old tyre but, I've had a few sets on my V-twin (Honda) and they have always performed very well. I get nearly 3500 miles out of a rear. I did try a BT-021 but hated it and threw it away and put another BT-016 back on. The BT-016 seems to be a good compromise between grip and longevity. They worked well enough on the track to grind away bits of the undercarriage so, for the time being, I'm sticking with them
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:49
I had Bridgestone RS-10s on for much of last year inc Scotland and Wales runs, excellent dry grip (wet not so good) but didn't last well on the big twin got about 1500 mls out of the rears, will be trying some Avon 3D extremes for this year (got them mega cheap Wink ) see how long they last... Couple of my mates have S21s on various bikes couple of  Gixer 1000s / s1000 hp4 / ZX10rr etc all seem to like them and they last reasonably well so they are probably a good choice, I was going to try a rear with the RS 10 front before I got the Avons.
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 12:10
Really liked the 016’s on my gen 1 03R. To be fair they probably offer enough performance for most people, especially on the road. Best of all they were so much cheaper than the latest greatest all singing all dancing rubber.
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 12:45
I've had them before and liked them, as has been said before I don't really think there is any bad tyre these days. The one thing that made me try other tyres over them was I have always found that any Bridgestone I've had, 014's and 016's seem to wear away very quickly once half worn.

Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 16:07
Had 014s and 016s on my speed triple , the latter were ok 014 s awful imo, on on Dunlop S/ Smarts 2 on my Aprilia and love em ???
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 17:27
I had M7RR put on when I was at IOM TT last year and did approximately 1100 miles on them over there.Did a Cadwell trackday on them as well . I found they suited my gen 2 Tuono well,no dodgy moments.Done maybe 3-3.5k on them so far.Will be putting some MICHELIN Power RS on soon. I would have stuck with the Metzeler but they seemed to go up in price and got the Michelins for just over £200
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 17:52
It really depends what you want the tyres to do, I really don't like the bridgestones. Tried 014s and 016s on many bikes and they give me too much feed back all the time, the fronts are especially bad. My fav trye for the road has been pilot powers for many years now, i'm currently running a pilot front (for feel) on the front and 023 on the rear for longevity on my winter bike. On track i love the supercorsas and superbikes Clap
current;2001mille,2003R,2003Eddy,2012Tuono. Previous RS250,2006Factory,2001mille,2001R and 2x2002mille
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 19:35
as an all round tyre mied with longevity and confidence,i loved the m7rr's.
not bought any new tyres since then due to buying bikes with nearly new rubber on.
the super corsas on my last 5jj r1 were ecellent through last years scorching summer too.

not had bridgestones for years.
chillmts View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chillmts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 22:23
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to give them a try I think, at £140 for a set it's too tempting not to!
I'll let you know how I get on.
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 13:35
Where are you seeing them at £140 a set?

My Mille is my first bike and it still has the tyres it came with. Michelin Pilot Road 3. I've done about 10,000 road miles, 2 days and an evening at Cadwell and 3 days at Parcmotor in Spain. Could show you a photo later but they look like they'll last another year or 2 at this pace.

On the road they are as good in the wet as they are in the dry. Never a moment from either tyre. Had some slippage from both in the wet at Parcmotor but that might be to do with greater speed and lean and maybe a surface that's not great when wet.

On track they warm up super fast but do start to overheat a bit. They feel a little vague and squirmy right on the edge but then I have nothing to compare to. Had one or two scary slips from the front when trail braking but I'm a novice so I'm probably not as smooth as I could be. On faster turns I've felt it coming out on the gas a bit but not alarming at all. Sort of feels like it's smearing beyond the limit, rather than suddenly letting go.
chillmts View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chillmts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 19:26
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Where are you seeing them at £140 a set?

My Mille is my first bike and it still has the tyres it came with. Michelin Pilot Road 3. I've done about 10,000 road miles, 2 days and an evening at Cadwell and 3 days at Parcmotor in Spain. Could show you a photo later but they look like they'll last another year or 2 at this pace.

On the road they are as good in the wet as they are in the dry. Never a moment from either tyre. Had some slippage from both in the wet at Parcmotor but that might be to do with greater speed and lean and maybe a surface that's not great when wet.

On track they warm up super fast but do start to overheat a bit. They feel a little vague and squirmy right on the edge but then I have nothing to compare to. Had one or two scary slips from the front when trail braking but I'm a novice so I'm probably not as smooth as I could be. On faster turns I've felt it coming out on the gas a bit but not alarming at all. Sort of feels like it's smearing beyond the limit, rather than suddenly letting go.

Check out demon tweaks, £145 a set.
llebagio View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llebagio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 19:39
Pilot Road 3’s on a Mille!? They are my absolute favourite tyre bar none - mostly for the wet grip, as I’m a Nancy in the wet. I’ve just got my first Mille (a lot more blood and thunder than my previous bike) and have to say that I’d expect a Pilot Road 3 to get torn to shreds pretty quickly on the RSV. Your experience suggests otherwise, which is great news as I’d be keen to put a set back on. Do you definitely mean pilot roads and not pilot power?

Dave 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 09:57
Originally posted by chillmts chillmts wrote:

Nice! I'd never looked there for tyres before but they seem a decent amount cheaper than FWR. Take it you fit tyres yourself?
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:02
Originally posted by llebagio llebagio wrote:

Pilot Road 3’s on a Mille!? They are my absolute favourite tyre bar none - mostly for the wet grip, as I’m a Nancy in the wet. I’ve just got my first Mille (a lot more blood and thunder than my previous bike) and have to say that I’d expect a Pilot Road 3 to get torn to shreds pretty quickly on the RSV. Your experience suggests otherwise, which is great news as I’d be keen to put a set back on. Do you definitely mean pilot roads and not pilot power?

Dave 

Pilot Road 3s yeah. Got some funny looks in Spain because not only was I the only rider without warmers, I was also on touring tyres.

I'm not quick though, sort of top end of novice thinking of going inters next session. I'll try get a photo later, they look almost untouched. Saying that, on the road I tend to try carry speed through bends which means I'm rarely braking or accelerating hard. If you are more aggressive they may wear quicker.
chillmts View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chillmts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 20:07

Nice! I'd never looked there for tyres before but they seem a decent amount cheaper than FWR. Take it you fit tyres yourself?

There's a local shop for local people . Only £10 per wheel to swap them!
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 14:22

There's a local shop for local people . Only £10 per wheel to swap them!

Bargain!
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 14:25

Michelin Pilot Road 3. I've done about 10,000 road miles, 2 days and an evening at Cadwell and 3 days at Parcmotor in Spain.

In case anyone is interested in the tyres that will never die, I just took a photo of front and back.

llebagio View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llebagio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 16:02
This makes me happy....if it rains whilst I’m out on my supercorsas, I will die. End of.
Loving my Gen 1... and all it’s little surprises 😖
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:01
Originally posted by llebagio llebagio wrote:

This makes me happy....if it rains whilst I’m out on my supercorsas, I will die. End of.

super corsas  aren't that bad you just need to be more careful and watch for standing water
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:31
That's good to hear. The Mille is my first bike and the Pilot Roads are the only tyres I've ridden on so far. They feel better on the road in the rain than they do when up to temperature on track so next I wanted to go for something more sporty and better suited for track.

I'd always thought SCs were track only and warmers were a must. The PR3s warm up fast and don't even really need to be warm to work. I've heard sport tyres are bad when cold but never experienced it myself so I don't know if they really are that bad or it's just that the people saying it were worrying too much.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 11:20
Most road based sports tyres heat up reasonably quickly nowadays and it's not a problem even before they do. They are nothing like race orientated slicks which pretty much start with zero grip if warmers are not used and even then need a couple of laps to get properly up to temperature.

However, I've used super corsa's and did find a noticeable difference after a decent warm up (When they were really great fun) but not dangerous before that. However in the rain they do lose all of the temp and as they have very limited water dispersion you just have to be very cautious. I hated riding on them in the rain to be honest but maybe that was just a confidence thing.

Fitz View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 13:12
Have had a couple of sets of BT 016's on my mille, good grip plus last far longer than my Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 !!
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 17:16
Had bt16 s on my s/ triple good but not as good as my Dunlop sport smart 2s imo.?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic