rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to RSV-R Ownership.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to RSV-R Ownership.
    Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 11:14

I'm a newby with an early RSV R Factory. Unfortunately it's going be the Spring before I get to ride it properly but first impressions were superb.

Anything I should be checking over the Winter ?  I have a trickle charger set up and have seen the notes on taking the key out for a battery change.

My other long term bike for is an RGV250, so it's going to a bit different !

Wayneoh View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayneoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 11:26
Looks very nice. Welcome to the club.
Wayne.   2005 RSV1000R Red.
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 11:33
I always recommend getting a set of John boys starter cables and a 150 amp starter solenoid get it from ap not the cheap ones and you won't have any starting problems and get the throttle bodies set up 
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:06
Welcome David. Yes, the power delivery for a start will be completely different to your RGV250. And engine braking too. It's strange at first but really grows on you.

This winter could be a good time to check your shock linkages.

snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:32
Hi, nice bike , I keep mine on optimate 4 during winter, also check the gearing std on gen 2 16/40 have lowered my Tuono to 15/42 , gives lots more usable power and better acceleration etc ?
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:46
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Welcome David. Yes, the power delivery for a start will be completely different to your RGV250. And engine braking too. It's strange at first but really grows on you.

Pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum  LOL
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:47
Sorry, welcome in David.  Thumbs Up

You are in the right place for information and support
david000 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 13:23
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've given it a once over when cleaning it and I've not noticed anything untoward. On the ride out it handled nicely on the road and give remarkable 'easy speed', at least compared to the RGV.

Poking around,  the only thing is that the levers foul the backs of the lights on full steering lock so I'm not sure if it has after-market jobs or not. 

When I get chance I'll whip the fairings off for a look see, and maybe replace the black screen for a clear one.

Roll on Spring.
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 14:00
Nice. Charger, gearing, brown connector, dogbone service & remove any alarm. Then ride it!
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 14:03
Welcome along David, what a gorgeous bike you have there one of the first Gen2 factory machines with the tank signature. Looks to be pretty stock with the exception of the Akras. Out of the crate these are cracking machines I'm on my 3rd just can't get away from them Big smile.

Seems you've done some homework regarding the battery but as said a decent starter and good battery is a must, Johnboy's cables are excellent but not essential ive had them on a previous Gen2 but not got them on my current bike and it starts really well so its up to you on that one. Check the swingarm for the recall being an early bike, the sidestand is sh*t as standard an oem American one is the belt and braces fix. Other than that use the winter to strip and deep clean, service and anything you need advice on just ask this forum is awesome best I've known for bikes and anything else tbh.

As far as upgrades and mods go plenty to spend your hard earned wonga on .
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 14:06
Oh yes, don't forget the sidestand, change it now!  Pinch
david000 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 15:36
Yep, it does sit a little upright on the Side stand.  I was told it's been changed, but it's still not ideal.  What's the 'go to' fix ?  I've heard Blade ones work but they look pricey.

On the starter solenoid, is it an easy job to check what's in there at the moment ?

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 16:08
The one to get is the OE US version. They are quite hard to find and expensive to get hold of (As they need to come from America with all the import duty and vat issues) but worth every penny in the stress reduction and potential damage risk to the bike. Jump on it quickly when you find one.

The starter relay should be marked up with the rating although I'm not sure how to tell the cheap ebay (And other suppliers) rubbish from the real thing. Definitely get the uprated cable to go with it though.
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 17:27
welcome buddy,not much too add that hasnt already been said.
looks a cracking bike mate,ive never had a gen 2 but always like the look of them and the twin can set up.

enjoy the bike and the great brotherhood on the forum.
everyones fantastic on here,you wont find a better owners forum,thats for sure!!

cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 18:04
Welcome in buddy.  Nice bike. You're in the best place for information and help. Cracking bunch of lads here. Very supportive and helpful. 👍
born ugly what's your excuse!!
david000 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 19:32
Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes. I suspect the bike has a bit of history but fingers crossed she will work out ok.

First impressions involved an ear to ear grin and can't wait to get out again.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 19:56
Welcome David, the V-twin is an involving ride, take your time. Once it clicks you'll love it.

Regards the levers on full lock, has it got aftermarket clip-ons or standard? They may have a different off set. Is there much clearance with the tank?
Question everything.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 20:12
So David, check this out:

damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 22:04
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Welcome along David, Id be grabbing that side stand if I were you, they dont come up too often second hand.

Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
Wayneoh View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayneoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 09:19
How can you tell what stand is already fitted, whether it already has a US one or not? Is there any difference in appearance?
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 10:26
Originally posted by Wayneoh Wayneoh wrote:

How can you tell what stand is already fitted, whether it already has a US one or not? Is there any difference in appearance?

Taken from another forum but the pictures speak for themselves, 
the OE one other than being shorter and narrower has more holes in the bracket than the US spec one, this is for a gen 2. Griff sells fireblade stands which are better than the OE but still not as good as the complete US side stand. 

Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
Wayneoh View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayneoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 10:46
Thanks.
david000 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 15:17

The previous owner reckons it had been changed - what do you reckon this one is ?  Different to the Aprilia ebay one for sure.

The think I would really like to improve is the clutch lever weight. I've read about different upgrades - do they work ?  Mine has a bembo master.
peach17 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peach17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 22:37
That isn't standard... doesn't look the best option though. Bike looks amazing.
Peach17
david000 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 08:27
Originally posted by peach17 peach17 wrote:

Bike looks amazing.

Cheers :)

I think it's a Suzuki stand based on that the seller told me. It still a bit upright.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 08:54
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

I know it's not cheap but the US stand in the link is the best choice and you will never need to worry again. Something else mentioned on here previously is that as it's an Aprilia part there's probably no need to declare for insurance
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 17:30
Here is another one from the states

eBay item number:

on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 17:53
Originally posted by david000 david000 wrote:

The think I would really like to improve is the clutch lever weight. I've read about different upgrades - do they work ?  Mine has a bembo master.

Fit an Oberon or MPL slave cylinder. They have larger pistons in them, so the lever effort required is less than standard. Down side is the clutch push rod doesn't get pushed in as far but you can slightly alleviate this by increasing the lever span. 
I've got the Oberon fitted to my Gen 1 T and I've used the MPL on a previous Aprilia, both do the job well.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
david000 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 16:41
Cheers Steve, I'll see if I can pick one up.  The clutch is a bit of an effort so that's probably going to be my first mod.

I'll see how the side stand goes.  The insurance note is a good one. When they ask if there are any modifications it's going to be tricky to answer as I've no idea !
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 16:48
I'm new to riding but from what I see most insurance companies don't care about most mods like exhaust etc. Can't see a kick stand being any different. Unless it falls off it for no other reason than the stand is wrong maybe.

Stock stand is fine on mine but on grass, gravel or bumpy muddy tracks it can take a minute to find a stable perch. Doesn't bother me because there are better bikes for green laning on LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic