rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gen 2 Model Changes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 17:08
In some cases ( like mine ) the swingarm was recorded as done but no work carried out on the bike. I made many calls to try and resolve the issue to no avail.  In the end I bought a second hand swingarm and got Griff to fit it along with new bearings .

Not sure what they were doing under the tank????? There is a connector for the fuel pump under there that can come apart when the tanks lifted but wouldn't explain why it started then died. 

Possibly the throttle bodies need balancing if its been home serviced for years then it definitely needs doing. I would budget for a good going over, bearings and fluids minimum and ideally co levels and throttle bodies setting up. Check the Ohlins seals too very common to leak if the bikes been parked up .
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 18:20
I thouht that about under the tank
the fuel pump connection normally under seet.bit weird that happens not trying to put a dampner on it
but I wud be concerned.
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 18:27
Also check pinch bolts on fork bottoms, can crack if over tightend
CarsOrBikes View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarsOrBikes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 23:51
the only issue sounds like it's what they reconnected after it stalled. Why would a bike have run initially but not again until something was messed with? That concerns me from a mechanical point of view and I'd want them to show me what they did, so I could see and learn what and why, in detail. They know something I suspect.

low balling on the back of a lack of dealer service history on a bike as tidy overall as that appears to be I expect will prove to be a waste of time, these bikes will sell at that. Plenty of people service them themselves just fine. If it was a scruffy machine then the history could be some assurance maybe.

They'll break for more than that still though.

Recall's are not a matter of goodwill, either this bike has had it done and has since been over damaging the new one rendering it junk so the owner sourced a replacement that would do, or it is pending the recall action. Nobody needs the letter to the original owner, but the original selling dealer used to have the legal obligation to find and communicate with any current owner, I think this changed slightly, possibly to include resellers but I'm unsure.

Recalls are free of charge save for consequential scenarios, such as hugger screws seized, bobbins etc. Recalls are not a matter of choice from a manufacturer, they are determined as far as I know, by the department of transport on the back of notification of a safety concern the manufacturer is obliged to notify them of if that makes sense, at least that's how it was. A service action is something else, and quality improvements, usually you pay.

Personally, I think you'll likely get a positive response regarding the recall, and if you do that bike is worth what they want. If you don't buy it and it's still there after I sell my current repair bike, I will haha.
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarsOrBikes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 23:51
Originally posted by Hangry Hangry wrote:

Also check pinch bolts on fork bottoms, can crack if over tightend

^ this too
aaressveeguy View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 03:55
I'd think it's the vaccum hose(s) which comes off the plastic splitter under the tank and not really the fuel pump connector. I donot understand why they couldn't do a continuous hose as fitting the hose into the splitter with the tank mounted is very difficult-I realized this when I fixed my fuel leakage issue.
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarsOrBikes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:37
if it was just after start perhaps whatever they did was at the right side? Idle valve is there and the pipes to it. Did you see which side? The fact it started, stalled, and didn't restart without help says something is playing up maybe?
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 13:05
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, after having a think, if Aprilia can confirm they'll be able to replace the swing arm for free I'll go for it, albeit with a low offer. Knowing this needs to be done could will help with negotiating and also you have to go with your gut to some extent.

I get the impression with these bikes you have to be into them, what with the clocks and potential swing arm issues before you've even handed over any money. I'm fairly competent with a spanner and have a great mechanic who I trust - famous last words I know! Either way if this works out I hope to be posting as a regular even if it's a few months down the road so value all the advice.

Just a big thanks again to all who has offered advice and will keep you updated.
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 13:31
When I had swingarm done last year I just rang a shop a gave my vin number they rang back 5mins later and said it needs doing think they had access to aprilia database.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 13:57
The speedo and swingarm was only an issue on 04 models so unless your buying that year specifically it's not an issue for most buyers.   

It does reflect badly somewhat on the original owner and partly the supplying dealer to be honest. Aprilia wrote to every owner and dealers by about March of 04 offering to replace the swinger and the clock issue had been well documented on the net and was a free warranty upgrade. (he had 2 years warranty to do that in)

Problem was around that time there were a lot of motorcyclke "supermarkets* and back street monkeys who should never have been given Aprilia dealer status who were only interested in box shifting and had no intereset in you or the bike once you left the premises or went bust 2 months into your ownership.

Aprilia delaerships were and largely still are the brands worst asset.
Wayneoh View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayneoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 14:53
I know this is a bit of a side track but with so much talk about the swing arm I decided to check my own.
When I put the Vin number of my 2005 RSV 1000R into the site to check for re calls,
http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-aprilia_en.html

it says "NO recall campaigns are pending for this vehicle.
          RSV 1000 R ROSSO"

but, looking at the swing arm, it has the lower chain guard bolted directly to it on the inside in the lower hole. Am I therefore correct to assume that this should have been replaced with a swing arm without that lower hole and a bracket to support the guard?

Wayne.   2005 RSV1000R Red.
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 15:28

that website has been shown NOT to be accurate !

in this thread, piaggio are useless in every way. They reduced the wonderful Aprilia name with over 50 excellent models from takeover in 2004, to a badge engineered copy of what it used to do. Now 6 uk models ? of which only the rsv4 is unique to Aprilia !
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 15:35
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

The speedo and swingarm was only an issue on 04 models so unless your buying that year specifically it's not an issue for most buyers.

This bike is a late '03 and still has those issues. I've also seen '05 bikes too with squiffy clocks

It does reflect badly somewhat on the original owner and partly the supplying dealer to be honest.

I agree about the dealer, he wasn't aware (or admitted knowing) of the swing arm issue even though it says 'recall' on the MOT history online. Presuming the swing arm wasn't changed, I'd agree also about the original owner. I managed to take one bad photo of said swing arm... I don't know if the presence of part No.30 means that part No.23 isn't screwed into a lower rivnut?

The last question I have is, would it be possible to get the clocks fixed permanently without them resetting ever again?
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 18:58
I'm pretty sure it looked like this. I would have thought swing arms with 2 rivnuts wouldn't need part no.30?

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 19:00
It has the updated swinger. No permanent fix for the clocks other than replacing them.

No 05 bikes should of left the factory with the old swinger or bad clock mileage wise. If they have now it’s probably not original.
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 20:45

It has the updated swinger. No permanent fix for the clocks other than replacing them.

No 05 bikes should of left the factory with the old swinger or bad clock mileage wise. If they have now it’s probably not original.

Thanks for the info on the swing arm, I want to believe! If you replace the clocks with the newer ones does that fix the resetting issue?
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 20:51
Originally posted by Jambon Jambon wrote:

Thanks for the info on the swing arm, I want to believe! If you replace the clocks with the newer ones does that fix the resetting issue?

Yes 100%
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 21:04

Yes 100%

Well that's getting done ASAP, thanks. Will wait to hear from the Aprilia dealer about the swing arm and if they can do it for free I'll make an offer to the dealer. Fingers crossed!
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 21:17
I didn't do half the checks you did jambon tell you what tho I got a bike that is stonking mate really impressed with it iv only had vtwins and it's the best bike I've had.spoonz not being funny but I think the swingarm did effect some 05 models some of them sold as 05 but on vin had 04? 
BRG View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:04

... Every bike of every make post about 04 is using CAN bus.

The claim that the Gen2 RSVR uses a CAN bus always makes me smile!

Yes, it does have a CAN bus, but it exists only between the ECU and the Dash and is used for display information only. All of the sensors and actuators are hard wired to/from the ECU and don't use the CAN bus at all!

The traffic between the ECU and the Dash is as follows (cf. p.7-15 of the chassis workshop manual):

ECU->Dash
---------
Engine speed
Vehicle speed
Diagnostics
Neutral (indicator)
Stand (indicator)
Oil pressure (indicator)
Water temperature

Dash->ECU
---------
Odometer
Model ID
BRG
https://c9932541.myzen.co.uk/brgw/
'05 Ducati MTS 1000S DS 'Neppomuk' "[...] a nugget of purest green"
'06 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory 'Nibelung'
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:08

spoilsport, that TOTALLY destroys the jokeEmbarrassed
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:48
Originally posted by BRG BRG wrote:

... Every bike of every make post about 04 is using CAN bus.

The claim that the Gen2 RSVR uses a CAN bus always makes me smile!

Yes, it does have a CAN bus, but it exists only between the ECU and the Dash and is used for display information only. All of the sensors and actuators are hard wired to/from the ECU and don't use the CAN bus at all!

The traffic between the ECU and the Dash is as follows (cf. p.7-15 of the chassis workshop manual):

ECU->Dash
---------
Engine speed
Vehicle speed
Diagnostics
Neutral (indicator)
Stand (indicator)
Oil pressure (indicator)
Water temperature

Dash->ECU
---------
Odometer
Model ID

That was the extent of the CAN technology that was in use at the time on bikes.  The CAN bus on the prototypes was expanded but reliability issues meant that some features never made it to production.  The RSV4 etc is still using much the same extent of CAN even now.  Have a look at CAN channel 11/12 for example and u will find the injectors form part of the CAN and you can monitor fuel usage per km or per 100km as the duty cycle is being monitored. But as the trip computer was dropped it’s mot in the manual. At least 2 other instances of CAN features u won’t see in an aprilia manual or displayed on the dash but are active.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic