rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RSV gen1 fast idle lever adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RSV gen1 fast idle lever adjustment
    Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 14:22
hello lads, 
I want help on the fast idle adjuster lever adjustment. So till today, I had not used the lever at all as it was summer and bike never struggled to start. I was reading on the fast idle lever as winter would be upon us soon and without any lever input I aa sure the engine will get flooded.
So I fired it up and pushed the lever a bit and it died. So obviously I pushed it in opposite direction and tried to start up again, but the bike just cranked and struggled. Now the bike has not run for a week and it has a 14v but pretty cheap battery, so I didn't risk multiple attempts lest the sprag clutch goes kaput.
It's on trickel chrager at the moment and have consulted haynes but not much there.

Which direction should the lever be pushed to feed the engine more air? As in usually in winter do you push it towards the speedo or towards the tank before startup with you sitting on the bike?
Thanks 
aaressveeguy View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 15:08
Got it from the manual

If the vehicle is started with cold engine,rotate the cold start lever "A" (17) down-wards.

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 16:51
Mine has a indicator on it showing the direction to increase fast idle...which is rearwards.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 17:06
Towards the tank for fast idle, it's not a choke though just a fast idle, you should look at the tickover as well once the engine is warm and set that to whatever your happy with.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 19:09
As said,it's a fast idle lever,nothing more

All it does is hold the throttle slightly open,you could do the same with your right hand if you wanted
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 00:46
Thanks guys as always and sorry for acknowledging late- don't get much spare time these days due to work and my 4 month old. I had figured it out anyway.
 As stevex said, the lever has markings but they're pretty faint on mine and not really noticeable. Lot of things to be done on my Mille, but it needs steering stem bearings first of all and then needs a new exhaust. The exhaust has a very very slight leak due to what looks like a minor spill by the previous owner. It's mivv titanium and honestly doesn't sound very good. 
Is there any chance titanium can be welded 'nicely' ? Or should I just chuck it and go for a new one.
I have been reading about gen 1 exhaust options here and see a 60 mm link pipe would allow various other exhaust for different makes to be mounted. 
In general should one go for something which is made and hopefully tuned for an IL4 ?
I see a nice scorpion exhaust for a cb1300 on sale and think this one should be a straight fit as per the exhaust guru among the ranks(forgot his handle)
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 06:20
Mhp exhausts can repair titanium and has a very good reputation,I use an akra off a k7 gaze, only real thing to be careful of on these bikes is using short cans as it kills the mid range, most bikes of this era like long cans around 450mm and upwards.
lucas60 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:22
I have a Delevik shorty on my factory sounds awesome 
Their is a pic of my bike on the site if you want to check it
Cheap and does the job. Hope that helps regards lucas60 
lou
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 13:27
As hemi says, shorties rob you of mid range power. Added to that, a modded collector will give you an extra 10bhp in the mid range. So decent straight through long can with a Redrat collector will give you significant extra mid range bhp. Not forgetting an FR200 chip...Wink
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 22:51
@426hemi- I am looking for a good akra which is sufficiently long.
Btw I have a cbr600f4i as well and it loses virtually all of its midrange if headers are use with no balancer pipes so know the importance of correct headers/exhust. I had to source a motad SS header for it which the seller had sourced from administrators when Motad folded and the bike runs fine now.
I am sure you donot have spare akras lying around or I can get lucky like bigun did recently lol?

@Lucas mate, thanks for the offer, but I think I'd wait for a decent akra to turn up on ebay 

@stevex- thanks mate. Yes plan is eventually to do all this, who knows some of it is already done, will have to check, but the last time I opened the bike up to replace the breather hoses, it appeared pretty much stock. I am surprised the PO didn't bother to replace the pathetic side stand even.

World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 22:53
Btw can't we multiquote posts? and what perks are there for premium members and how do you become one?
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 00:22
As long as you have a 60mm link pipe which if you haven't Griff sells pretty much any 60mm can will fit, mines a hexagonal carbon akra off a k7 gsxr, I think it's about 450mm long but they do a longer can as well, the gsxr loop bracket fits perfect as well.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 00:29
This is the one I sold bigun.

The one you linked to is a road legal factory option I think?, the outlet is completely different.
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:03
ok, last question, I swear. What would you recommend between a remus(unknown material-most probably alloy/alluminuim) or an Aprilia racing titanium for the gen1? Think the titanium is for a 2003 rsvr, so unsure if I'd need a new eprom/map etc? Both of them come used and look to be in decent condition. 
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 12:18
The Aprilia can is very loud, on a previous Tuono I owned I replaced it with an Akra, it was just too loud for me. 
Remus, no idea. 
What link pipe do you have?; ideally you should go for a 60mm diameter one, then get a can with a 60mm inlet. Some link pipes are waisted and not 60mm straight through.
If you don't have a modded collector, the FR100 chip will do to go with an aftermarket can. With the modded collector use the FR200.
Then of course there's the early large air boot to think of...
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaressveeguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 14:42
Thanks Stevex mate for your reply. The Remus and the aprilia racing titanium both come with link pipes which shoult fit. Had a look under and think the collector is stock, don't see redrat shenanigans there.
Also measured the dia of the current mivv linkpipe dia and it's 60mm, so should be ok?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic