rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Racing Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RSVR Track Tyres (SC1,SC2, Depth)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moezeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RSVR Track Tyres (SC1,SC2, Depth)
    Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 15:15
Hi Guys,

New to the site and just looking for advice really on tyre choice and usage.

Im currently running Pirelli Diablo SC1 Front & SC2 Rear on my Gen2 RSV. Amazing tyres and have really gave me a sense of belief in the tyre and the brand. 

Now i love my bike and i would have to have an off by just tying to get too much out of the tyre life so my questions are below:

1. SC1 or SC2 choice? Im currently running Sc1 Front & Sc2 Rear. Would you guys go for the SC1 rear?

2. What tread depth do you think is a safe place to be able to push a tyre to?
MorathB View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorathB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 05:49
Sorry, but tyre choice is also about track and track temperature (and how fast you are;P)

As far as I know the Pirellis are very good tyres especially when new, but after a few/several rounds they "get a drop"(?) and loose their top performance. That means they are still very good but the very fast guys have to get a new tyre to be still able to drive very low times (without (much) more danger).

to question second: That's also depending on the tyre (and speed)-> you can still drive the Bridgestone V02 when the markers are gone more ore less a little bit, on Pirelli, Metzeler or Continental there's still around 1-2mm left (I used to change the ContiTrack with a deeper mark than new V02's^^)
In the end you have to be able to sense a little bit when the tyre is done (for you) and/or try that a little bit out. But in the end it's better/cheaper to change earlyer than having a chrash.

p.s. SC1 is the softer one, I think-> more maximum grip but less mileage-> you have to look if you can use the more grip and/or have the spare money for more tyres during the track season...
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:16
I think Moezeth probably has some tyres by now.

In the UK people tend to go SC1 front, SC2 rear. The SC2 rears last a fair amount longer than the SC1s for not much loss of grip and handle the cold better I believe. I think there's a fair amount of difference between front and rear compounds despite sharing the same name.

Here's Pirelli's front:

And their rears:

Generally for track tyres you pick the front based on feel and the rear based on pace, temperature and track surface.

There may be a lot more to it but generally in the UK people run the Pirellis from novice through to fast, with or without warmers and on mild to hot days. I hear they don't last half as well in Spain though, probably due to the heat.
Pete 86 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete 86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 16:23
Just to pitch in here as i have track experience on my mille with pirelli and michelin. 
I have been running michelin evo cups this year and they are sublime.
Semi slick tread and a strong carcus which allowes for lower tyre pressures. And they dont knock out the middle like the pirelli's
Whem warm they will out perform the rider so you will have no worries with tyres.
Feel on the front end is unreal and stable compares to the pirelli proably because or the weight of the big old mille.
I was outbraking myself at oulton on the pirellis quite a lot because of the soft compound making the front quite unstable under heavy braking. Put the evo cups on and i could hit the anchors hard and release felt lovley. Allowed me to throw her in fast after heavy braking. I  did 4 track days this year and kicked it through the lakes all summer and the tyres loved it.  Even wear right across after a punishing year.  
They take a little longer to warm up compared to pirellis because they are stiffer tho so be cautious for a fiew miles on the road they can kick when cold eh.  

1:59.07  pirelli @oulton.
1:54.04 evo cups @oulton.

Thats just due to stability and the boost in confidence i got. 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 09:14
5 seconds quicker on evo cups than supercorsas? Or road pirellis?

That's good to know. Seen they also do slicks in the same compound. They look to be a competitor to Metzeler Compk and Pirelli Superbike Pro but I've never heard anyone say they've used them. Until you just now.

How do they wear compared to the pirellis?
Owen
Pete 86 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete 86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 17:31
To be fair i was on rosso ll .
Not quite supercorsas but proably more stable eh.

The wear on evos are unreal mate.
Like i said i hammered them all summer and did 4 track days and i still had tread left in the middle.
Almost the same depth on the edges as in the middle in the gaps eh.

I wont be using anything else going forward. 

Try them...
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 20:11
Sc1's front and rear or sc2 front and sc1 rear, i wouldn't touch an sc2 rear. Slicks are much better though
current;2001mille,2003R,2003Eddy,2012Tuono. Previous RS250,2006Factory,2001mille,2001R and 2x2002mille
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 09:46
Don't know about stability difference between Rosso 2 and supercorsa but I'll say I've had no problem with an SC1 on the front. Give loads of confidence on the brakes I think.

The michelin pilot road 3s I had before would start to break traction even when bolt upright and had them tuck a little a couple times miles from the apex with hardly any brake. I know they were road tyres though..

Yeah I might give them a try.
Owen
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 09:47
Originally posted by mixdrive1 mixdrive1 wrote:

Sc1's front and rear or sc2 front and sc1 rear, i wouldn't touch an sc2 rear. Slicks are much better though

You wouldn't touch an SC2 rear? Is that because you're racing and want all the grip you can get?
Owen
MorathB View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorathB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 19:38
As far as I kmow: the supercorsa's are racing tires, just with profiule because some racing series specify/want ist that way.

sc1/2/3 is the compound like soft, medium, hard,...

p.s. on my 01 Mille with mud and chainguard 15/42 and standard chain lenght I made good experiences with ContiTrack 190 and Bridgestone V02. The wideness is 192mm or 194mm. Only the tirewarmer got dirty but otherwise no problems:)
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 20:13
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

You wouldn't touch an SC2 rear? Is that because you're racing and want all the grip you can get?

Sorry only just seen this, i've used sc2 rears before and always struggled with traction off the apex plus tyre pressure is essential and have chewed them up, where as never had any tear problems with other tyres sc1s, superbike slicks and conti slicks
current;2001mille,2003R,2003Eddy,2012Tuono. Previous RS250,2006Factory,2001mille,2001R and 2x2002mille
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 08:52
That's on your Mille right? I noticed on some footage with a rear facing camera I was leaving rubber out of most corners, even halfway down the straight. I know there's not a huge amount of power there but there must be something in how it's delivered that tears up tyres.

Good to know which have worked for you, thanks.
Owen
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 21:29
Yes on the mille buddy, i was leaving black lines too with the sc2s, honestly try an sc1 rear, i was running anywhere from 20 to 26 hot on sc1 depending on track temp and no tearing, but i've found slicks much less temp specific, the superbike slicks give all the grip but conti slicks last forever
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 21:35
I was also advised to run sc2 front as mille is a big heavy bike and im 15 stone so the sc2 is less likely to lateral tear than the sc1. Dont get me wrong a lighter rider on a lighter bike should for sure use sc1 or sc0 on front but on a mille it can be too soft for the weight, also alot of the 180/60 scrubs are coming from modern 600s as the power bikes running 200s. just my opinion 

mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 21:38
On a nice summers day i'd run 34/35 front and 20/21 rear hot temps off track
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 21:41
Also worth noting the cheaper tyre warmers like the blur bike tec ones just dont get hot enough and will still give cold tear, go for the  more expensive one's which get the tyre much hotter and use a powerful geni
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 11:17
I'll bear that in mind thanks. Though I'll probably try the conti slicks next time. Got compks on at the moment but after 2 days the rear is already looking a little torn up and worse for wear. Wearing maybe worse than the SC2s I took off. My mate found the opposite with his GSXR 750 though: compks lasted ages but conti tracks wore in 2 or 3 days. All at sensible pressures.

Yeah your front pressures are about what I've found to work for me. Typically mine are 34 when I come in though I don't measure too often as it's hard to do without burning my knuckles. I'm 16.5 stone and feel better with enough air in the front to keep it stable on the brakes. Think with supercorsa fronts the compound is the same and only the carcass stiffness changes between SC1 and SC2. So SC2 would definitely make sense. Nature of the bikes is to make up time on the brakes too I think.

I haven't got tyre warmers yet. Been thinking I don't need them as tyres and rims are normally scorching coming back in but then this tearing I've had recently is probably from the first lap or 2. Can feel the tyres coming to you from about halfway through the first lap but I think it takes longer to heat right through so from pushing after only a lap it's doing more damage than I ought to be doing. Guess warmers don't so much give you that much earlier grip as they protect the tyre when it's cold and prone to tearing. Will have to get some.
Owen
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 13:07

also alot of the 180/60 scrubs are coming from modern 600s as the power bikes running 200s. just my opinion 

Are you using 180/60 on your Mille?
Just wondering as i have chance on some Sportsmart TT this size which will be a decent price and more than good enough for me but usualy use 190/55.
Would like to know difference when fitted from someone using them.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 13:22
Don't think there's a huge amount to it but I think they work well and feel better. Only thing to watch for is swingarm clearance with the taller tyre. I'm running 15-42 gearing on 108 chain and there's room but not a sh*t load:

Owen
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 13:28
Think there's something to the softer compounds being better though. Think most of my tear is due to bad riding habits and inexperience. But with me being a constant, this is an SC2 after riding Donington Park:

And this is a compk (marked soft compound but definitely not as soft as an SC2) after riding Catalunya:

Owen
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 15:22
That's what i wanted to know,clearance is ok with the 190/55 but not sure with the 180/60.
I'm running 15/43 108 link chain.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 15:29
Short answer is you'll have to try it and see I think. Mainly because 190/55 and 180/60 are nominal sizes and don't actually match most tyres. The profile of a 190/55 should be 104.5mm tall and a 180/60 should be 108mm tall. But they can vary a fair amount I think, just like the widths are never exactly 190 or 180. Some 200s are not really much bigger than 180s.

Thread here about it but I say give it a go. Will be close but ok I reckon.
Owen
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 21:22
Yeah we ran 180/60, 190/60, 200/60 slicks and i think wets are 190/55 from memory, all much the same will fit but tight getting the warmers on.

Yeah you getting the same tearing as i got, alot of people say get a stiffer rear spring which i agree with but also tyre compound and pressure is essential, if you wanna pick up a set of scrub conti slicks to try your more than welcome, £40 a set (2016 dates but stored in my house). lasted us forever with flipping
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 21:25
Gotta remember if not using warmers it's a heat cycle a session and those first 2 laps each session will eat the tread mate, warmers are well worth it
Pete 86 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete 86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 22:23
Can i put pictures on here 
with a phone guys?
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 08:39
I think you're right about the first 2 laps eating them. I don't believe the heat cycles thing but I'm sure I'm losing a lot of rubber in the first few minutes from cold just from tearing on a cold carcass. Cadwell evenings would probably be ok because they'd never cool between sessions.. I need warmers really don't I ha.

Not going to be able to ride until late next year and things are tight now with my wife finding she's got no job to return to after maternity leave but I'll get in touch see if you still have some scrubs when I need them Thumbs Up. 2016 dates no problem as they're stored out of the weather.
Owen
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 08:44
Originally posted by Pete 86 Pete 86 wrote:

Can i put pictures on here 
with a phone guys?

Yeah you need to host them somewhere first though. I use this place: https://cubeupload.com/
Then get the link from there. There's an Insert Image button where you're writing, put the link in there.
Owen
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 09:46
As Carl says, any of those tyre sizes work on the Aprilia well,so long as your chain is long enough. The tyres swell as they get hotter on track and the 60profile when hot, in particular, can rub the swingarm in the centre if your wheel isn't far enough back. 
190/55 is the wet tyre profile also correct. 
Tyre warmers are a must if you don't want to spend a few laps warming tyres and cold tearing is a mega issue. Don't forget on cold days, even on warmers, the track will be cold. It can be very slippy and your tyres will similarly tear. 
I use Pirelli Super Corsa on the Aprilia. Never used less than an SC1 and historically tended to use a SC1 front and SC2 rear. Personally never had an issue with a SC2 during an endurance race where it lasts well in part as you aren't balls out non stop over a 3 hours race (split between 2 or 3 so expect at least an hour total)For sprints I use superbike slicks SC1 on the Kawasaki front and rear. Because of the soft tyre walls you do need to run higher front tyre pressures on the SC1 or 0 than you may initially think as the carcass wall is very soft and doesn't support as well as the 2's. 4 races of between 5-7 laps on most tracks seems to finish a rear off (2-3 lap BSB scrub)in part from trying too hard. 
If you have a tyre changer you can flip as much as you like, but MOST track side tyre support won't flip them for you, be aware. 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic