Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Other Bikes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

See Bee Thou Stuff...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: See Bee Thou Stuff...
    Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:53
Been a few weeks since I bought the CBthou, haven't had much time to get out, but first impressions of first 680 miles. Chose the + version about £1k more but gives about £1.5k worth of goodies & useless extras.

Motor. Amazingly, beautifully, creamy, smooth. Absolutely no fueling glitches or hesitations, no vibes...twist the grip, dial in as much or as little as you want. Throttle response instant...no cable back lash as it has the ride by wire thingy. Properly civillised. Power delivery isn't linear though. The torque kinda comes at you in 3 gob loads. You get that initial punch when you nail it from standstill, smooths out, give it more and you get an another kick up to about 85-90mph...then if you keep on it... comes in again, a harder and a bit mental until silly o'clock. Addictive. Add quickshifter-autoblipper for sh*t & giggles, pin it and laugh like a lunatic. Way more power on tap than I can properly exploit. Love it.
Fuel economy, dunno, about 45mpg I think? Tank appears to be much smaller than say the Hornet9. Has this stupid gizmo thing that stops you putting the fuel nozzle right into the tank.

Clocks & modes and stuff . Easy to read (sh*t eyesight here) iPod easy, very intuitive to alter settings. Bit too much going on with the modes imho.  Fully adjustable riding modes to suit your individual riding style, can be fine tuned to more or less any setting you want. I've just plonked mine into sport mode and left it. Seems to do the business.Very clear, much like a car I suppose, but not overly busy. There are idiot lights on the dash to help you ride more efficiently (bwahahahaaa) but can be switched off. One negative on the clocks though...when the sun is behind you, the flat mirrored black LCD screen acts like a mirror..can be a blinding bastard at times. Should have used a non reflective convex cover imho. I've been told there are sticky on screen covers that fix this.
Lights. LCD ones...everwhere. Bright as bright. Brilliant (ha!)  Front indicators stay on (seppo style) Rear indicators flash hazards automatically when you hump on the brakes to avoid that c**t who's just pulled out on you.

Suspension & steering. Early days yet, but doesn't seem to get flustered, soaks up the worst of poor road surfaces. Forks are nice and progressive, and seem well damped. The ride quality is v plush when compared to the Tuono I had. Back end can get a little bouncy, maybe not enough rebound dampening? Dunno...we'll see. It steers precisely, very easy to pick a line, and you have to be doing stupid things to upset it. No steering damper, don't think it needs one. Loads of ground clearance, took the 3" hero blobs off. They looked a bit stupid. Took the passenger pegs off at the same time...they looked stupid too.

Brakes. Loverly. Got the ABS. Tried it out in anger a few weeks back, (sheep-car-sheep-sheep- car on racetrack road) No drama or crisis, just got on with the job of stopping the bike. Hard to tell it's there. Very impressed. Nice feel at the lever, very progressive, little effort needed, no snatch. Rear brake, as good as anything else I guess.
OEM tyres, Bridgestone somethings..grip a plenty.

Ergos. Loverly. Plenty of leg room, I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam. Both feet on floor ok. Slight reach to the bars, cants a bit of weight over the front end. I like this..a lot. Weight on wrists is vfr like, but wider apart obviously. Overall, a really nice place to be, all day comfortable, certainally good for 150 miles to fueling/break/stretch. Although looks small, be a comfortable bike for big bastards. Lots of legroom, and easier on the knees than the Aprilia or a Speedie I demmo'd.
Lack of screen (Got the tiny thing over the headlight) could be a problem for those big Motor Way days. OK up to mid 90's. After it gets lairy wind wise. Do most of my riding sub 80 so should be ok fingers crossed.

Looks.  The 'elephant in the room' innit?  You either love it or hate it. When I bought it, to be honest, was unsure. Bit different from anything else out there (Vitpilen exepted) but has some lovely styling touches. Seems the more I see/use it, the more I like it. Build quality is amazing with exception of exhaust. 9/10 . Alongside a r9t the Beemer looks boring. Parked up, it attracts more attention than any other bike that I've owned. Old blokes and kids do double takes walking past. Initially, I hated the rear numberplate holder thingy, but having had time to look at it properly, it gives the rear a beautifully 'tucked up' look. Was planning to put a tail tidy on..now not so sure. Will see.  Mirrors look like ants antennae, but they're easily swapped. Bar ends for the win I recon.

Overall I love it. (up to now) Nowhere near the 'character' of the Tuono, but it's a nicer and easier bike to ride quick. Has all the performance I'll ever need, with a degree of comfort, which is ok by me given my ageing form. Ha..it's like a 2 wheeled Lexus.  

Few pics:

In all it's glory

Love the tucked up rear

Headlight & 'ahem' screen...

Bit of engine detail

Back wheel & hub...never owned a SS swingarm....not sure yet, but quite like the wheels.

Silencer looks like a broken cricket bat...will be swapped out for summat small & sexy

Bread bin....part of the bike I'm not happy about

Welding done by a 5 year old....hahaha...f**king shocking...will be talking to dealer...

Clocks

Quick-shifter/blipper thingy....bestest fun ever....
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 12:45
Nice Clap

It's probably a bit revolutionary or futuristic for my simple/old fashioned outlook but you can't deny progress can you?

Obviously I've never ridden anything that modern but the way you describe it takes me back to the 70/80's when I got into middle weight Honda's after having tuned scooters and a modded Tiger 90,that being the Honda's were so amazingly efficient by comparison that somehow it detracted from the riding

I know anything that gives you more time to concentrate on the road is good but I found I had to go faster to get the same buzz,is it like that?

How's your bruises by the way? Is your mate ok?   I would guess you're taking it very easy for the time being?

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 14:07
99.9% of my riding is on a GS now. My Ape has not been used for some time.

Not because the GS is special or the Ape not but because it's easy and still fun to ride. It's more than fast enough and comfortable, has decent range and is cheap to run and service.

Is suspect the CB1000 is much the same is many respects. Sometimes you just want to ride without the hassle factor of aching wrists and necks etc and putting fuel in every 90 miles. I rode from up to Raglan last weekend on a whim just because I could, (120 miles each way) on one tank of fuel in perfect comfort (except the heat). I wouldn't have dreamt of doing that on the Ape or Ducati.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 14:38
Spoonz....you've very nearly nailed it.
As much as I loved my Tuono (12 years of ownership) it was a very focused thing to ride and own.
Proper thoroughbred. I didn't mind the constant attention it needed, I didn't mind it's quirkyness, I didn't mind having to fix it, or the costs either. In the end it was the DOWN time that got to me. Never being 100% confident that you could just jump on it and go. Fantastic bike though, and I was really sorry to see it go.

Injury wise Ian, doing ok I think (fingers crossed) thanks.
l/h shoulder f**ked up a bit. Tendons & ligaments.
Bruised all over. (bit like the morning after receiving a f**king good kicking)
Dave was riding a beautiful  mint low milage GSXR 750
Like this one...now totally f**ked.
He hasn't seen it yet.

Came out of hospital this afternoon. Shoulder really f**ked. From rear, looks like a milk carton with the corner chopped off.
Honestly don't know why I didn't take the CB out. Was going to, but decided on the hornet at the last minute.

Next plan is to het rid of the cricket bat silencer in favour of one of these..
Quite like the look of the Arrow Titanium. Bit smaller and lighter then the Ackra by all accounts.
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 15:43
the Honda does everything the Aprilia can't but it's too good and I felt they have gone too far  It won't be long before its automatic and all these gadgets take the fun out of riding.  It's all focussed on going fast and speed isn't everything it's the journey. I have ridden a blade sp on Donnington several times and used only three gears only needed them if im honest and left with good lap times exhausted but without looking back thinking I have to get one of these.  I personally would have had more fun on a smaller bike using all the gears and testing my skills more.

But nice bike, lovely bike actually but I can't cope with the wind pounding me anymore . I bought a mille for track use only but it's so much fun so much personality and so nice looking that I have sold my speed triple and it has personality but my neck can't take the wind anymore.

Treat yourself to a ride on an old British bike and you will understand where I come from they are so involving

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 16:37
CC is deffo not everything. My Ducati was an 848cc and was very engaging to ride and I chose it over the 1098/1198 simply because I could use most of what it had most of the time, not some of what it had some of the time. 

That said bikes like my GS which is well over 200kg needs a 1200 cc motor to get it hauling.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 17:05
Originally posted by David451 David451 wrote:

the Honda does everything the Aprilia can't but it's too good and I felt they have gone too far  It won't be long before its automatic and all these gadgets take the fun out of riding. 
To be fair, it's a pretty engaging ride, and like you, I'm not too fussed on the rider aids.
Agree wind blast...gonna be interesting LOL

Originally posted by David451 David451 wrote:

Treat yourself to a ride on an old British bike and you will understand where I come from they are so involving

I'm a 60's child David. Grew up with them. Learnt how to ride on them. Learnt how to crash them too LOL
However, I remember having to fix them, every other weekend.
They're were a pain in the arse then, and I don't see that much has changed.
Mostly bought by misty eyed old blokes trying (but failing) to re-live their youth, and hipsters who know no better..LOL
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 17:20
Having said that I'd love to build a super light weight Triton with some modern touches

Not sure if I could cope with a high compression kick start any more though Confused

At least as you say ,with a modern Jap bike you know you can just get on it and ride,anywhere,no matter what distance and pretty much guarantee you'll arrive and not break down en route like with an old Brit or Italian bike
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 18:15
I agree I couldn't live with them either pissed oil everywhere and always fell to bits but they had soul something the jap bikes never had but anybody riding one today would love the experience. Couldn't get a triton now at a decent price my mate had one in his bedroom in the ups

I refurbished a 1974 Honda cb750 two years ago took me two years to do it and sold it easy I couldn't afford one then and I was excited to get out there and ride one before I'm too old. I found it surprisingly good great sound and decent performance the rear brake was tremendous kept locking the coont up around town and although it had an electric starter I enjoyed the kick start but the novelty did wear off fokin hard work.

I never kept it long road test or two mot and then sold it it lacked everything I like in bikes. I keep looking at the old Norton's bsa and matchless but my sensible side of me says no but would i ride one, give me a wee bantam and I would be off in a second and I think every biker should try our glorious engineering before they are all gone with a wee twinkle in their eye.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 18:29
I'd love an old Triton. 
Work of art. 
But I just know I'd see my ar5e with it as soon as it started playing up.
If I wanted somthing of that genre, I'd probs go for a Rickman Mitesse...but with the new style Triumph 800 donk instead of the old, oily TR's?
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 19:01
Dave Degens still makes Tritons using 1968 Bonnie 650 engines made from all new parts (nos) and Slimline Featherbed frames. I think he punts them out for about £13,000 and very reliable by all accounts. They are registered as Dresda Triton's unlike the old Tritons which are usually registered as Norton's.
I'd love to own one but my old bones wont bend around Cafe Racers anymore, well not long enough to get the tyres warmed.
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 19:15
I still have an old cb750 1976 which was to be my second project and thought to make it a racing version but the parts are so expensive its not worth it but I will get to it one day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic