rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

04 Factory Cutting Out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 04 Factory Cutting Out
    Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 17:40
Hi Everyone,

I've been having cutting out issues and non-starting issues. Sometimes the bike will start fine and sometimes I just hear the fuel pump priming with no turnover, and also see a voltage drop from 13+ on the dash to below 12. I've bridged the solenoid (new, 150A) and got it to start a few times.

I discovered that the charging system was goosed (not unusual for these), changed it all out for a modified system including Compu-Fire linear regulator fitted under the rear cowling next to the battery, T12 stator cooler and new stator connected with big 630 Delphi connector and pins soldered. I know that it's working great because I measure it at the battery between 14.1 and 14.2. I've also fitted a new 200CCA battery and still having issues. The sidestand interlock is blanked and I can see that's working because if I remove it the warning light appears on the dash.

Looking at the wiring diagram I think the injector relay must be working for the starter to work as the power from that relay feeds all the other fuel related systems, but I'm no auto-electrician.
So at this point I'm also beginning to suspect that, or could the fuel pump cause these issues?

It seems that it will start and run, then just cut out, particularly at idle or less than 3k, then once it has cut out will not turn over the engine for a random period of time, could be a few minutes could be much longer. Once the time is up the bike will fire up no problem at all and carry on.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

TIA for any help!

Ian
Duggers View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 18:22
Further information, I have +12V at fuse D and I measured 0.011V at the green wire to the starter solenoid with ign on and 0.055V with the starter button pressed. THe other wire had +12V. So I don't see how the starter solenoid isn't engaged all the time. As I said, I'm no autoleccy...

Ian
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 18:54
You didn't mention battery cables in your list,the best mod you can do with these bikes is throw the Aprilia spaghetti battery leads and fit a proper set of cables from John Walker ( Johnboy on here)

Don't know if that will help your problems as you have decent voltage at the battery but the oem kit was barely adequate when the bike was new,after this amount of time it could be very tenuous and perhaps it won't carry the load properly?

Are your earths clean?
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Duggers View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 19:16
Thanks Ian, earths look good. I may have to invest in some of those battery leads, I know what you mean about the standard ones. Meanwhile I think I may have found the culprit. I pulled the fall sensor and it started right up and hasn't cut out yet, at least using on the driveway. Time will tell, looks like it will run on without that sensor but the efi light is on. I'll just have to remember not to fall off when I ride it for the mot!

The bike are definitely for the hard of thinking or non practical types!

Cheers Ian
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 22:09
Might be worth checking the crank sensor especially in light of work around the stator area. If the ecu doesn’t see the sensor it won’t run or turn over.
Duggers View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 22:18
Thanks Spoonz, that's a good call. In this case it was cutting out before I changed the stator, I thought I'd found the cause when I measured the outputs at 18V @ 4k but unfortunately not.
Cheers, Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic