FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best advice for new beginner Mille owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DaBi5cu1t View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaBi5cu1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best advice for new beginner Mille owner
    Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 20:43
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by DaBi5cu1t DaBi5cu1t wrote:

Originally posted by Diablo Diablo wrote:

Check what you already have on the bike first though, before buying anything buddy Thumbs Up

Which bolts am I loosening to lift the fuel tank so I can see where the ecu is? Or is this not the correct location of it?

You dont have to do anything with the tank to get to the ecu, just take off both seats and you will clearly see it.

Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 02:53
2 bolts at front of tank ecu is behind the seat their should be a tank support clipped to the left side of the subframe 
DaBi5cu1t View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaBi5cu1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 02:40

Check what you already have on the bike first though, before buying anything buddy Thumbs Up

Which bolts am I loosening to lift the fuel tank so I can see where the ecu is? Or is this not the correct location of it?
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 21:41
Question everything.
DaBi5cu1t View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaBi5cu1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 19:01
Wow, cheers for the help guys. Now I just need to rob a bank and have some idea of what I'm doing!
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 09:09
All good advice given above.
Now just go 1060 and you're sorted
Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 08:40
One of the lads mentioned it already but if it's not done already a proper side stand would be the very first thing I would do.

Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
deloco7 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deloco7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 08:30

Beat me to it Delboy Clap LOL

What's that saying Rick? Great minds think alike.....or was it fools seldom differ??LOL

Its all the same stuff on a Gen 1. Sort the basics out and they're brilliant. Mod at your own leisure and budget and get them how you want. Thumbs Up
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 01:15
Beat me to it Delboy Clap LOL

Question everything.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 01:13
Personally, first thing I would so, is service the rear suspension dog bone and linkages etc. These should really be checked every year. Replace worn bearings, or if ok re-pack with grease. They do go dry and seize/break with potential catastrophic results.

Get the suspension serviced and set up. The Ohlins forks are prone to leaks, esp when left standing.

Get the throttle bodies and CO set up.

You need to check which mods have already been done. Post us some pics of bits.

Electrics! replace the old starter cables and battery cables with the John Walker (Johnboy on here) heavy duty cable kit. The original cables were not adequate when these bikes were new, let alone 16 years later. This will solve hot and cold start issues and highly recommended. You can have a huge battery, but if the cables cannot carry the current, then it makes no difference

Change to a Yuasa TTZ14s or Lithium with the highest cca you can. If not already done

http://www.apriliaperformance.co.uk/yuasa-battery-yuasa-ttz14s-vtwin-models-all-rsv-tu.html

http://www.apriliaperformance.co.uk/aliant-battery-ylp12-to-fit-v-twin-models-rsv-tuon.html

Note, if you go for the lithium, you will need a lithium charger and have a read up.

Change the start solenoid to the 150 amp Yamaha one

http://www.apriliaperformance.co.uk/aprilia-starter-solenoid-upgrade-150-amp-rsv-tuono.html

Open the ecu and see which chip is in there.

Change the crap standard side stand for the 04-07 Fireblade one. The original stands are horrific and many bikes have fallen over.  The very best stand is actually the US spec Aprilia one, but finding one is almost impossible. A bike falling over hitting the gear or brake levers, can damage the frame and even punch a small hole.

http://www.apriliaperformance.co.uk/honda-fireblade-side-stand-v-twin-rsv-tuono-replac.html

Check the ball joints on the steering damper are all free and the damper not notchy etc.

Later mods maybe an Oberon clutch slave, or other popular performance mods are Evo or Renegade type airkits (sounds like you have one), Redratbike modded collector +Forza Aprilia FR200 chip. Many types of race cans or full systems if you can find them. 16/44 sprockets. Quick action throttles, quick shifters... the worlds your oyster or not -Some like to modify, some prefer standard. Whatever you do, make sure you have fun and keep us all posted. Anything you're unsure of, post a pic or ask matey Big smile

Question everything.
deloco7 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deloco7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 00:38
Welcome aboard, sure you'll enjoy the bike.

A few essential items for me personally - if the battery is good then keep it that way with an optimiser. An upgraded 150A starter solenoid from Aprilia Performance. That way you know its genuine unlike some of the eBay ones floating about. A set of John Walker cables never goes wrong - he's on here under the name Johnboy.
Check the suspension linkages - dogbone, bearings etc as these are often overlooked or ignored.
Worth getting the throttle bodies set up correctly and your suspension sorted. If you can get the bike running well and keep it that way then for me thats the most important bits. The rest can come later.

You may want to start modding with the likes of a collector from Redratbike, EPROM chips from Forza or Gabro and a whole host of other performance enhancing goodies. If you're running a Pipercross filter then possibly the airbox has already been modded.
You can definitely get the best advice on here - any questions or issues you may have will have been experienced before and there will be an answer for you.....although not necessarily a solution LOL
DaBi5cu1t View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaBi5cu1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 23:55
Hi all, I'm a proud new owner of a Mille. It's my second bike, but I'm still a little rusty as what's best to do first.
It's a 2001 Mille RP with 29k miles. It also has the Ohlins suspension with dampeners, a carbon Fuel can and Pipercross air filter. Oil and brake pads recently changed, battery upgraded too.
What are the first things a new owner like myself should do to male sure the bike is in as good as condition as possible?
It's also very red.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic