Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gen 1 Edwards air tubes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen 1 Edwards air tubes.
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 17:57
Whats the benefits of these and is there a market for them in top quality pre-preg carbon?
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 18:01
They help with the ram air effect no leakage out of the standard airscoops maybe assist by the air being less turbulent?

Market ....Yes and no ..toughie......out of sight so no bragging rights ha ha ...now prepreg outer duct covers definitely a market for those .

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 18:12
I agree with Mark because you can't see them the only real benefit over OE is the lightness of the carbon construction and the stock ones aren't heavy, I could weigh some for you if that helps you get an idea of the weights involved,   
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 19:26
If I do the outers I'd have to do the whole faring and then you are looking £2,500 for the moulds and then about £700 for the faring. I can't see many people wanting to spend that much on one.

www.jollyscarbon.co.uk

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 19:30
Think again jg 😀
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 19:46
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

Think again jg 😀
So that's one for a full faring.

I just need another 7 to make it worth while and you all would have to be willing to make a deposit too.
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk

Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 19:56
Hi JG, bit confused. When you say full fairing, do you mean the upper/nose fairing?
Question everything.
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:18
The air tube 'outers' attach via self tapers to the air tube inner it is quite a complex shape when compared to say an air tray but it is independent of the main fairings
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:25
maybe the question you should be asking is what would people like to see available in quality carbon, me I'd quite like a carbon front sprocket cover .
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:27
Yes I know, had mine on and off enough. Think he must mean the whole intake fairing Thumbs Up

JG, I've got some being made as we speak by Sebimoto.... Motoforza do a set too.  but if you're doing a nice pre-preg set, I'm very interested.

Question everything.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:36
Originally posted by budd budd wrote:

maybe the question you should be asking is what would people like to see available in quality carbon, me I'd quite like a carbon front sprocket cover .

Budd, a gen 2 one fits. You just have to gently rub down the side of the sprocket cover that goes near the frame.

Question everything.
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:38
Cheers 👍
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:41
The problem with the fairings is the amount of models, early gen1 like mine and later gen 1.5, to get enough people together for either could be a nightmare, been trying to get morepower to make me a tank for ages and quantity is always the problem.
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:55
If I was to do a faring it would be the whole thing.
The top, air tube outer and sides would be in one piece and then the belly pan. I thought all the Gen 1's were the same.

Demi as you say that is problem, most Mille's cost about £1,500-£2,500 and who is going to spend a £1,000 on a tank and another 7/800 on a faring. the moulds for both would be 5k.

I may look at the sprocket cover, one problem is they will probably need inserts where the bolts go though and that can be tricky.
And this is wetlay, depending on how long it take to make my pre-preg would be about £5 more. 

www.jollyscarbon.co.uk

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:59
Look very similar but every panel is different .
Andy Higham View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Higham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 07:47
one carbon part you could sell by the shed load, rear seat cowls for all variants of gen 1
I would definitely buy one for a 2003

Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 08:06
Originally posted by Andy Higham Andy Higham wrote:

one carbon part you could sell by the shed load, rear seat cowls for all variants of gen 1
I would definitely buy one for a 2003

The problem is the pre-preg I use isn't available in plain weave (unless you have expensive machinery and I mean 15k+) and too mount the mounting posts in the right place requires another jig AND mounting them so they don't break off is another problem. As every one I know that have bought one has had them break off at some point.
You will notice that most of them are made using wet lay and aren't that strong too!
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk

deloco7 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deloco7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 08:42
I know that the carbon cowl I bought from USA was really weak.

As JollyGiant says, the mounting holes are the weak point. I tried a genuine baseplate in and the holes broke in 2 places. Tried a few home fixes but the cowl would never sit level on the bike. I was going to give up and bin it but then got speaking to a guy who fixed his with expanding foam. Sent him mine and now its rock solid on the bike and site perfect. Its not pretty when you look underneath the cowl - but how often do you do that?

Si McMille View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 23:09
I done some work on my intake ports today -

I opened them up and sealed were the port connects to the frame as there is a gap

I removed the grill and repositioned the air sensor

When I assemble the port back together I used gasket seal on all the joining part so no air leaks

I heated up the intake scoop at the front of the ports and straightened them so it is more direct intake..

I just need to seal the big boot now to the inside of the frame and I should have a pretty much sealed intake system inc my Evo air box. 👍

Can see on the left the scoop is covering the intake port - on the right is were I heated up and straightened it ..

Both done
2001 RP Mille
15/42 gearing
54mm tb’s
54mm Evo stacks - dual velocity
Evo air box with K&N
Unrestricted intake boot
Custom Collector Mod
Evo Ti Exhaust
Aprilia EPROM
PC3
Tuono riser conversion
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 06:57
You could get even more air in by using a carbon air tray and save fair chunk of weight at the same time.

www.jollyscarbon.co.uk

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 08:56
Originally posted by Jollygiant Jollygiant wrote:

You could get even more air in by using a carbon air tray and save fair chunk of weight at the same time.

Errr! I'm not saying there isn't a significant weight saving, I'm sure there is. However the airbox you show has the air filter inside and your tray does not.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 09:00
Originally posted by Si McMille Si McMille wrote:

Can see on the left the scoop is covering the intake port - on the right is were I heated up and straightened it ..

A nice idea but do you not think that the small power increase you might get will be more than outweighed by the increase in aerodynamic drag? I'm sure Aprilia designed the fairing that way intentionally.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 10:06
The Mille was one of the most aerodynamic bikes of its time apparently

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 10:18
If I was racing for pole I’d say yea I’d need as much aurodynamics as possible, but for the Rd, I don’t think it would have a major effect, let’s face it, I turned mine into a sit up, straight away I’m defying its design.. 😜😂
2001 RP Mille
15/42 gearing
54mm tb’s
Evo air box with K&N
Unrestricted intake boot
Custom Collector Mod
Evo Ti Exhaust
Aprilia EPROM
PC3
Tuono riser conversion
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:06

If I was racing for pole I’d say yea I’d need as much aurodynamics as possible, but for the Rd, I don’t think it would have a major effect, let’s face it, I turned mine into a sit up, straight away I’m defying its design.. 😜😂
no fair comment .....like chasing maximum horsepower when in reality a slight drop in power but a rise in torque is probably better for day to day riding in the real world

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:19
That it pal, opening the front ports should aid in better torque and response. If i can get hold of Edwards tubes even better.
2001 RP Mille
15/42 gearing
54mm tb’s
Evo air box with K&N
Unrestricted intake boot
Custom Collector Mod
Evo Ti Exhaust
Aprilia EPROM
PC3
Tuono riser conversion
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:38

That it pal, opening the front ports should aid in better torque and response. If i can get hold of Edwards tubes even better.
as per the link on FB call or email Gez

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:45
Seen that mate, was ment to say thanks!

That’s great I’ll give him a call. 😊
2001 RP Mille
15/42 gearing
54mm tb’s
Evo air box with K&N
Unrestricted intake boot
Custom Collector Mod
Evo Ti Exhaust
Aprilia EPROM
PC3
Tuono riser conversion
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 12:21

Seen that mate, was ment to say thanks!

That’s great I’ll give him a call. 😊
he’s a good lad makes the jester bodykit amongst other stuff

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 13:14
I've got some of his copy Edwards airtubes. They are fine. Who knows they may even give me 0.1hp - but added weight of course!But I guess it was a cool thing to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic