rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Racing Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tyre lifespan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miff_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyre lifespan
    Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 17:28
Can any track day / racer types help ?

How old should tyres be before they need scrapping ?

I have always used Michelin power cup scrubs for track days, but never thought about the age before.
In my collection for this season i have tyres from 2014, 2012 & 2010.They have always been stored in my loft while i have had 'em, and i understand that new ones will be grippier, but without forking out for new all the time, how much grip am i risking losing ?

Miff
RSVR Factory 2004. KTM Superduke, Gas Gas 300, Beamish Suzuki, Harley XR1200, Beta 250. Dont tell the wife !
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 08:13
I track a fair bit. I guess it depends a bit on your pace. 2014 will be fine. Last year i had a brand new early 2012 tyre fitted and it was absolutely fine

I think those 2010 ones maybe pushing a bit past their best now. Maybe kick out on the road?
Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me & current road/track

https://www.youtube.com/c/DeanBirkumshaw
Miff_uk View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miff_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 09:27
Cheers for that. Fell off at Cadwell the other year (low side) and was unsure if the eBay tyre was the cause. Went out on same tyre next track day and it gripped fine.
RSVR Factory 2004. KTM Superduke, Gas Gas 300, Beamish Suzuki, Harley XR1200, Beta 250. Dont tell the wife !
WARNZ View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 14:45
I'd give the the 2010 Ines a miss,butt do the nail test see how hard or soft compliant the rubber is. If they don't feel soft after pushing your nail in then and it takes a while for your nail impression to disappear there gone off,if your Q your tyres it's already in your head so if anything happens your going to blame them even if it wasn't
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 17:31
Originally posted by Miff_uk Miff_uk wrote:

Cheers for that. Fell off at Cadwell the other year (low side) and was unsure if the eBay tyre was the cause. Went out on same tyre next track day and it gripped fine.

Funny enough I was at Cadwell yesterday and can relate to that. See a few people drop it there due to the slight spitting and damp bits under the trees etc

If the tyre really has been stored well, bung it on a tyre warmer and see how soft it feels after 50 minutes...but for me 2012 would be my limit for track. Road Id run it though
Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me & current road/track

https://www.youtube.com/c/DeanBirkumshaw
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 17:37
Friends Ducati 748 had 4yr old tyres on and he said that they had lost a lot of cornering grip and that was just on the road, he had them changed and couldn't believe the difference of how much tyres had improved over that time !
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 19:49
A 7 year old tyre is really only fit for the skip.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Miff_uk View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miff_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 23:53
Originally posted by WARNZ WARNZ wrote:

I'd give the the 2010 Ines a miss,butt do the nail test see how hard or soft compliant the rubber is. If they don't feel soft after pushing your nail in then and it takes a while for your nail impression to disappear there gone off,if your Q your tyres it's already in your head so if anything happens your going to blame them even if it wasn't

I'll try that in the morning, however, just rubbing a finger over the 2010 and 2014 there seemed to be a big difference in 'tackiness'
I put the newest one on today and i think I'll stick the 2010 one on eBay....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic