rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swapping over to Ohlins forks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swapping over to Ohlins forks
    Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 18:28
Hello chaps.
Quick question for you all... When it comes to fitting the ohlins forks and bottom yoke to my 2008 Tuono R would you replace both steering head bearings or just put a new one on the new bottom yoke? I have just ordered one to go on the bottom of the steering stem but I'm wondering if I should have ordered a pair now? My bike has 15000 miles, hasn't been wheelied and set down hard so the bearings on it at present are fine, or they feel fine to me at least.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 18:39
I would just swap the bottom.
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 19:11
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

That's what I was thinking to be honest Hemi, can't see there's going to be anything wrong with the top one and I've had the bike from nearly new so I know it's not been abused ,well in that way at least
Stevieonit View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevieonit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 21:48
Top will prob only require clean and regrease
I'm onit !!!! 02 rsv & 10 R1
Www.smithsracing.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 12:07
Originally posted by Stevieonit Stevieonit wrote:

Top will prob only require clean and regrease

Cheers Stevie, any tips on the best grease to use or will just normal stuff do the job?
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 13:57

Agree.
The top does very little work, and I've yet to see one that's properly goosed.
Use a good quality lithium based grease. I use the Silkolene red stuff, but there are loads of others equally as good. Put plenty on the bottom, as the fit of the seal is a bit crap.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 18:52
Originally posted by Tifa Tifa wrote:

Agree.
The top does very little work, and I've yet to see one that's properly goosed.
Use a good quality lithium based grease. I use the Silkolene red stuff, but there are loads of others equally as good. Put plenty on the bottom, as the fit of the seal is a bit crap.

Cheers Tifa, i will locate some of that or a quality equivalent.
I've got a stem nut socket on order so I'm nearly ready to rock n roll, the only slight concern I've got is how much of a game it's going to be to get the old race and shoulder(if that's what the piece of bearing on the stem is called?)out of the headstock and off of the stem and then getting the new bits back in their place. Is it a reasonably easy job?
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 21:31
Originally posted by markrsvr15 markrsvr15 wrote:

Bottom bearing if thats what you mean if you dont have a puller sore if with a grinder then hit it with a screw driver just snaps. Then heat the new bit up before you put it on to make it abot easier.

If thats what you bit you mean

That's the bit Mark,the race that sits on the bottom of the stem, everything else looks pretty easy, it's just that bit that was throwing me but I will do as you said and grind it part way. Cheers fella, the tip was much appreciated
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 21:38

No worries mate just sore it though the driver will do the rest but watch your eyes some bits sometimes fly off not all the time mostly just snaps

I will wear my old HJC when I'm doing it ... Although my eyesight couldnt get any worse so I think I'm immune anyway, hehe.
Thanks again chap, I will post some pics up once the forks are all fitted.   
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 21:51
What have you got left to do Mark? I've actually managed to get everything done that I meant to over Xmas, even surprised myself...
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 22:02
Haha, well ithought Xmas would come and go and I'd spend ny whole break crashed on the sofa but, amazingly, I managed to get my arse in the garage and do something, god knows how mind you .
You will get there fella, the thought of that trackday will spur you on I'm sure. Where are you doing the first one? I'm going to start badgering my mate soon enough so we can get something booked up, I'd like to start off at Donington, I do love that track.
Stevieonit View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevieonit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 00:39
A good quality grease will do suggest silkolene red grease is good we use it on the Bmw Superbike
I'm onit !!!! 02 rsv & 10 R1
Www.smithsracing.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 08:24
Originally posted by Stevieonit Stevieonit wrote:

A good quality grease will do suggest silkolene red grease is good we use it on the Bmw Superbike

Cheers Stevie, that's the second recommendation for that grease so I'm going to get some ordered. Top man.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 08:32

Ether olton park or cadwell mate to start.

Cadwell is definitely on my list for this year, it's a bit of a trek but worth it I'm assuming.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic