rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear shock identification woes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSV_Ecosse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear shock identification woes.
    Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 19:43
I'm struggling to work out what type of rear shock I've got on the Mille, for reasons which will become apparent when I explain things a little.

I've got a 2000 year RSV as most of you know. Now, from 1998 to early 2000, RSV's came fitted with a black bodied Sachs unit with a white spring. However, the late 2000 bikes which also had gold Brembo's instead of red ones, came with a gold coloured Sachs unit with a yellow spring. In the USA they referred to them as the '2000.5' model.

In 2001 Aprilia revised the entire rear suspension set up and the RSV came with a Sachs rear unit this time again, in gold but with different linkages and dog bones and a spring which was softer. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the 2001-2003 Sachs unit was also slightly shorter. It also had two nuts on the bottom part of the shock which allowed the ride height to be adjusted.

Now, (and bear with me on this it gets a bit long winded Wink ) if you go online and look up Aprilia parts numbers between 1999 Mille's (black shock/white spring) and late 2000 Mille's (gold shock/yellow spring) you find that the dog bones and linkage part numbers are the same. Obviously the part numbers for the shocks themselves are different. If you look at 2001-2003 Mille part numbers for the dog bones and linkages, they are different from the 1999 and late 2000 models as you would expect. The 2001 onwards rear Sachs gold shock/yellow spring also has a different part number from the late 2000 Mille Sachs gold shock/yellow spring again, as you would expect. Still with me? Smile

Cut to the chase - my Sachs gold shock/yellow spring is tired. Griff spotted it straight away at the Scottish Servicing day. The bike sits 'arse down' and when I'm sat on it the rear appears to 'drag its bum' in a lower position than it should. Go over any bad bumps on the road and my Renegade pipes where they cross over the swing arm above the hugger, actually touch the hugger and melt the damn thing. So I'm assuming that the damping action of the shock has seen better days. 

John Griffin ( all round good guy/Haga rep owner for those of you who know him) has offered me an early black bodied Sachs unit he has in mint condition. Yay!!! Problem solved. Probably. So far from what I can tell, it'll be a straight swap over and my linkage will match up perfectly fine. From what I've read on the AF1 forums (and by god I've trawled 'em with a fine tooth comb) this is indeed the case. That info would seem to be backed up by the linkage components having the same part numbers between 1998 bikes and late 2000 bikes, despite having two different shocks. But it would be nice to be able to verify that with more evidence before I scoot down to John's place and we strip the shock off my bike. 

To that end, two questions/favours to ask - Can anyone tell me if there are any markings/numbers etc on the Sachs gold 2000 shock or the yellow spring I can use to identify them? And where are they located if they exist? Also, could someone post pics of a Sachs gold shock/yellow spring from a late 2000 model RSV so I can compare them with mine? And maybe a pic of a 2001/2002 Sachs gold shock/yellow spring too? 

Sorry about the wall of text above, hopefully I can get to the bottom of this and sort it out.

Ta,

Gaz. 

2000RSV - Lots of carbon tat - Hopeless wobbler onboard
RSV_Ecosse View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSV_Ecosse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 19:55
Part numbers for each item between years:-

1998-1999 RSV

Dog Bones - Genuine Aprilia Double conrod AP8135916

Main linkage - Genuine Aprilia Single conrod comp. AP8135917

Shock - Genuine Aprilia Shock absorber AP8123646

2000 RSV

Dog Bones - Genuine Aprilia Double conrod AP8135916

Main Linkage - Genuine Aprilia Single conrod comp. AP8135917

Shock - Genuine Aprilia Shock absorber AP8123939

2001-2002 RSV

Dog Bones - Genuine Aprilia Double conrod AP8146409

Main linkage - Genuine Aprilia Single conrod comp. AP8146340

Shock - Genuine Aprilia Shock absorber AP8123942

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 20:09
Mines a late 2002 so that wouldn't help but can you not just measure the eye to eye length?

If it's the same as yours all should work as before but with better damping.

That's the trouble with having a bike you haven't owned from new,I'm wondering about the linkage on mine as it seems very high at the back although I know I have the correct shock and it's in it's lowest setting.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
RSV_Ecosse View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSV_Ecosse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 21:59
The plot thickens. I had a good look underneath at the bottom of the shock today and found that it has the rebound adjuster (sort of knarled knob) and the ride height adjuster nut/locknut:-

Which, unless my eyesight is going potty, is contrary to the parts list for the 2000 specific model. I can't see a rebound adjuster or ride height lock nuts at the base of the shock in this 2000 model fiche, but I can see them in the 2001 fiche:-

Confused

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic